Is it bad form to present the same project at multiple meetings/conferences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok they're not really conferences, more like school research day events. Anyway, is it inappropriate to do the exact same presentation at different places (and reuse the same poster)?

Members don't see this ad.

No, definitely not inappropriate--I did this frequently in graduate school. Especially if it's been only a couple of months since the last presentation, you are unlikely to have enough new data to justify printing a new poster, especially for something as inconsequential as a school research symposium.

For a national conference, I'd definitely make up a new poster though.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, and when I list the presentations on my resume, should I change the name of the project so it doesn't seem like I listed it twice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok they're not really conferences, more like school research day events. Anyway, is it inappropriate to do the exact same presentation at different places (and reuse the same poster)?

To my mind it's a question of whether what you present is published - if it is then in my view you should not do the same thing

Last edited:
You should never make up names for awards, presentations, positions for jobs you've held on your CV.

It would be poor form to rename your presentation on your resume to make it seem like you didn't list it twice (which you did).

Many meetings require you assign copyright of your work to them and not present the material at other meetings or attempt to publish them elsewhere first.

To my mind it's a question of whether what you present is published - if it is then in my view you should not do the same thing

:thumbup: This is what I've always been told.

To the original poster:
Is it consequential that you list each presentation on your resume (especially if they are school symposia)? Or perhaps you can list the title followed by the venues where it was presented.

I didn't change the title when I listed the presentations on ERAS. Same name, different date/venue.
Absolutely right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk