Is it bad that I "lied" to get in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAS1996

Reaction score
So I got an acceptance from a rural D.O. school in the south which I am going to be attending. In my interview, they asked where I was planning to serve as a physician. To make them like me, I said I was going to serve in the same area as their school (in the south). But I really don't want to. I plan on doing my residency on the west coast area, or somewhere close there. I kinda panicked during the interview and wanted to tell them what they wanted to hear so they'd be more likely to accept me. Once I apply for residency, would they get mad or upset at me for not applying to residencies in the south like I said I would? Or would it even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

So I got an acceptance from a rural D.O. school in the south which I am going to be attending. In my interview, they asked where I was planning to serve as a physician. To make them like me, I said I was going to serve in the same area as their school (in the south). But I really don't want to. I plan on doing my residency on the west coast area, or somewhere close there. I kinda panicked during the interview and wanted to tell them what they wanted to hear so they'd be more likely to accept me. Once I apply for residency, would they get mad or upset at me for not applying to residencies in the south like I said I would? Or would it even matter?
No, once you match they can not do anything to you. I think it's pretty stupid and dishonest to lie about something like this, its the same reason why I strongly dislike students that send out LOI

Reactions: 5 users
So many people change their minds over the course of medical school if anyone asks just be like a lot happened over 4 years and your interests changed.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If what you said in the application process were binding, 90% of the physicians in practice would be pediatricians and FM docs working in rural, underserved areas.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
They know you're lying.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
They know you're lying.
I had multiple instructors in preclinical make jokes about how we all must be interested the topic they were teaching that day since we all said we want to do primary care in our interviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Lmao, everyone does this. Despite what Goro insists, they're not *that* good at detecting lies. Or maybe I'm just worryingly good at it.

Lmao, everyone does this. Despite what Goro insists, they're not *that* good at detecting lies. Or maybe I'm just worryingly good at it.
Yes but i'm assuming OP is probably from the west coast w/ no ties to the south. Theres no evidence to suggest OP wants to live there.

That would be like me saying i would love to move the midwest but never lived there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes but i'm assuming OP is probably from the west coast w/ no ties to the south. Theres no evidence to suggest OP wants to live there.

That would be like me saying i would love to move the midwest but never lived there.
I went to a school in a place I had never been to and had no intention of living in. Made up a story about family in the area, they bought it.

And look how well that turned out for you!
You mean an acceptance? Don't be so salty. There's a ton of literature showing that people are terrible at spotting lies.... especially ones like you that are overly confident.

You mean an acceptance? Don't be so salty. There's a ton of literature showing that people are terrible at spotting lies.... especially ones like you that are overly confident.
Nope. I never said that we were perfect at spotting Liars, only that we were pretty good at it. There are always people who get underneath the radar.

What I was talking about is what happened to you and your medical career.

Nope. I never said that we were perfect at spotting Liars, only that we were pretty good at it. There are always people who get underneath the radar.

What I was talking about is what happened to you and your medical career.
Lol, just because I left doesn't mean I regret it. It opened up a very particular door that would have otherwise never appeared. It worked out in the end.
And I've seen you repeatedly brag about how good you and adcoms are so good at spotting a fib.
Your overconfidence is your weakness.

Lol, just because I left doesn't mean I regret it. It opened up a very particular door that would have otherwise never appeared. It worked out in the end.
And I've seen you repeatedly brag that you and adcoms can always spot a fib.
Again, not "always".

Or maybe we're better at it than the Adcoms at the school you attended?

Again, not "always".

Or maybe we're better at it than the Adcoms at the school you attended?
Or maybe none of you are? Y'know, like all the literature shows?

Or maybe none of you are? Y'know, like all the literature shows?

Serious question cause I’m just curious. Why do you continue to frequent SDN. After leaving. If I left I’d want absolutely no ties to this draining profession

Reactions: 1 users
Serious question cause I’m just curious. Why do you continue to frequent SDN. After leaving. If I left I’d want absolutely no ties to this draining profession
Depends entirely on the thread. At the very least I can provide feedback and insights into the schools I attended. Then there's threads like this where I can comment on more specific issues.

Reactions: 1 user