Is it bad to apply to two different programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dor940

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is bad to apply to two different professional school. Like, pharmacy and medical schools. I was told that people shouldn't apply to both because an interviewer will see that you applied to two and would be wondering if you really want to be a pharmacist or not. So, I was just wondering if it is bad to apply to two different professional schools.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't apply to both at the same school, I think you should be ok, but that would be a lot of work for you. Taking both MCAT and PCAT, getting LORs for both and many other things. I wouldn't recommend you doing this though because if you want to go to medical school and you don't get in with your first try, try again next year. Don't switch profession just because you can't get into one.

i agree. you probably could do it if you apply to different schools, but i don't think you should for the same reason you shouldn't apply to different programs in the same school. the schools will think you don't know what you want to do, and if you're applying to different programs then aren't they right? unless you're somewhat crazy and want to get both a pharmd and an md, then that's a different story, somewhat

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it sounds risky to apply to two different programs at the same school, but I do know someone who did this and got interviews for both programs. so, maybe they don't cross check. or they just don't care.

I was wondering if it is bad to apply to two different professional school. Like, pharmacy and medical schools. I was told that people shouldn't apply to both because an interviewer will see that you applied to two and would be wondering if you really want to be a pharmacist or not. So, I was just wondering if it is bad to apply to two different professional schools.
i'm not sure if they would know if you applied to different program at different school, but if they have a way of finding out, they would definitely look at it in a bad way. That shows that you don't even know what u want to do in life. you have to have a reason as why u going to pharmacy school or medical school , past experience, how did u decide on that. but if u not even sure then its like ur just lyin on ur application and using pharmacy as a back up. Besides why would u do that though? u be taking away a spot from someone who really wants pharmacy or med.

I don't see any problem with applying to two programs because I'm applying nursing as well to the same school and nobody asked anything