Is it best to submit now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedSomeAdviceGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This thread got moved to WAMC after I already made a new thread here, so sorry for the spam.

I'm also not entirely sure why this is being placed in WAMC? I'm not asking what my chances are, I'm asking about the admissions process and how submitting before my MCAT retake affects me.

Also my MCAT is a 29 from 2013, which is both a low score and an outdated one. Why do you think it'd be a waste to retake it? Especially considering I've done most of the studying already, and only plan on taking a FL every weekened with some small review after work during the weekdays between now and sitting for the exam.

The SMP gives an automatic interview to those who score above a certain threshold, but you have to formally apply through AAMC first. Chances low or not, it'd be foolish not to shoot at it this cycle no?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no point in applying that late with an SMP. I'd complete the SMP, crush the mcat and apply next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
The plan that Frogger27 suggested is the best way forward. If you do well in a SMP and score at least 512 in the MCAT then you would be competitive for many DO schools and some MD schools.

The plan that Frogger27 suggested is the best way forward. If you do well in a SMP and score at least 512 in the MCAT then you would be competitive for many DO schools and some MD schools.

What exactly would hurt with applying this cycle?

I have 2 years of excellent post-bacc undergrad courses and research. The amount of bio courses I took was equivalent to the amount of bio courses you'd take for a biology degree and I got mostly As with the occasional A-. I think that remediation should definitely bring some forgiveness to my undergraduate performance.

The SMP itself recommended I apply to schools this cycle, and to especially apply to their school since historically the people who've obtained the automatic interview through their program with my level of remediation have been accepted.

Also, sorry but my question is not IF I should apply, but how I should go and submit my application with my MCAT retake as stated in the original post - submit now, or submit closer to the time of my retake so that when they get around to looking at my application the new MCAT will actually be on it.

I'm not taking the SMP to boost my application (my 2 year post-bacc did that), I'm taking the SMP in order to increase my chances this cycle at their particular school, help prepare me for the medical school curriculum, and act as a back-up for if I do not get in anywhere this cycle as it will make me more competitive next cycle.

Last edited:
I can't answer your question about when to submit this cycle, but I can tell you my situation (take with a grain of salt).

I actually had a very similar undergraduate GPA over 5 years (had an entire year of Fs due to an extended absence and being an all around fool not realizing I should've left school and sort my life out) and also a 29 MCAT as well. Following graduation I took a year (8 courses) of UDV Bio courses and got ~3.9. I also retook my MCAT and got a 519 (131 BS, 131 CARS, 129 PsySoc, 128 PS), all-in-all submitted AMCAS by the end of August.

I applied narrowly to local schools, expecting to re-apply the following cycle, but scored 3 MD IIs and 2 Acceptances (granted one of the IIs was merely a "courtesy" thanks to a favor from a friend, and I didn't get in anyways. One of the acceptances was also my alma mater, which I had 2 LORS from their med school professors).

Since you seem intent on applying this cycle, if you really do as well on the MCAT as you think you will and are going to the SMP I think you're going to I imagine you could get in there unless you're a terrible interviewer. If you don't do as well on the MCAT as you intend then, welp, it'll probably just be money down the hole.

Best of luck!

Last edited: