1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is it better to apply early or wait for my grades to be on the transcript?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by gobears01, May 13, 2008.

1. gobears01

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've already taken DAT and ready to apply before June 1st. However, this semester's grade will be on transcript on june 12th and I think I did pretty well. Should I apply early and send the transcript that doesn't have this semester's grade or just wait until june 12th? please give me some advice. Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rollredroll

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    12 days vs. boosting your GPA with strong grades? i think you're better off waiting on the grades.

4. realityhigh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am in a similar situation right now and was wondering whether I should apply now or wait 2 more months for my summer grades then apply. I currently have a 3.42 gpa and am taking 8 units over the summer. If I do well and get all A's, it will boost my gpa to a 3.51, so I wasn't sure whether it was worth it to wait.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#3 realityhigh, May 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. nhasifuture

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am currently in the same boat. my current GPA is 3.34 and i'm taking 14 quarter units this spring. I'm currently having straight A's this quarter. If i could maintain this till the end of the quarter, my GPA will be 3.42. Should i wait until June 17th for my Spring quarter grades for apply before June? How soon do i have to send my LORs and transcripts after i submit my application? thanks guys

6. OMFS08

OMFS08 Tooth Extractornator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well guys, a good rule of thumb is anything that enables your application to be stronger is worth doing. So it would probably be a good idea to wait. Good luck guys!

7. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    In your case, there is no need to wait since your GPA is already high. Apply as soon as the cycle opens up.

8. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think you will still be sent out in the first wave regardless, so you should wait a bit.

9. DrSphinx

DrSphinx Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not sure if everyone else's registrar runs like mine, but we have to wait 6-8 weeks after the quarters over until the new grades get posted to the official transcripts...just something to look into at your own school because I dont know if you want to wait an additional 2 months just for a few grade points??