Is it better to apply early or wait for my grades to be on the transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobears01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already taken DAT and ready to apply before June 1st. However, this semester's grade will be on transcript on june 12th and I think I did pretty well. Should I apply early and send the transcript that doesn't have this semester's grade or just wait until june 12th? please give me some advice. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

12 days vs. boosting your GPA with strong grades? i think you're better off waiting on the grades.

I am in a similar situation right now and was wondering whether I should apply now or wait 2 more months for my summer grades then apply. I currently have a 3.42 gpa and am taking 8 units over the summer. If I do well and get all A's, it will boost my gpa to a 3.51, so I wasn't sure whether it was worth it to wait.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in the same boat. my current GPA is 3.34 and i'm taking 14 quarter units this spring. I'm currently having straight A's this quarter. If i could maintain this till the end of the quarter, my GPA will be 3.42. Should i wait until June 17th for my Spring quarter grades for apply before June? How soon do i have to send my LORs and transcripts after i submit my application? thanks guys

Well guys, a good rule of thumb is anything that enables your application to be stronger is worth doing. So it would probably be a good idea to wait. Good luck guys!

I am in a similar situation right now and was wondering whether I should apply now or wait 2 more months for my summer grades then apply. I currently have a 3.70 gpa and am taking 8 units over the summer. If I do well and get all A's, it will boost my gpa to a 3.79, so I wasn't sure whether it was worth it to wait.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In your case, there is no need to wait since your GPA is already high. Apply as soon as the cycle opens up.

i think you will still be sent out in the first wave regardless, so you should wait a bit.

I'm not sure if everyone else's registrar runs like mine, but we have to wait 6-8 weeks after the quarters over until the new grades get posted to the official transcripts...just something to look into at your own school because I dont know if you want to wait an additional 2 months just for a few grade points??