Is It Better To Get A WU or F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattforpt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine was asking me if it's better for him to take an F or WU in his chem class?

Right now, he's at a D in the course. He's planning to take the course again and eventually apply to PT school. Although not ideal, I figured WU would be better because at least in the schools that don't take your highest grade, an F wouldn't be calculated.

I wanted to get SD's opinion though?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, it's better to take the W and retake the course. Although most places will take your highest grade... PTCAS will calculate and average your cGPA and pGPA with all of your grades, including the F even if you did retake the class. So it's better not to lower your score with the F and just take the W hit.

Reactions: 2 users
Never ever EVER take the F. Also, your friend needs to get his act together if he wants to get into PT school. It is competitive as hell and people with great stats get rejected regularly. You have to bring your A game every day from now on just to have a shot.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
W!!!! The Fs are so hard to recover from GPA wise.

Reactions: 1 users
Uhh...y'all, it's a bit too late in the semester to be able to walk away with a W. From a quick Google search, a WU is calculated into a GPA the same as an F.

I have no answer for you, OP. I've never heard of a WU, and I don't think my school gives them. In my (unqualified) eyes, F>WU, relatively speaking. An F at least means he completed the course, while the WU appears to mean he didn't complete the course and gave up. Neither is good. It's not the end of the world for PT school, but he should buckle down if he wants a good chance at admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I'll let him know.

Ya I was disappointed he was even in this position. It's general chem, so it only gets harder from here. Hopefully he understands getting into PT school is no cakewalk.

Last edited:
School is pretty much over, I don't see how you could walk away with a W at this point, unless your school has some pretty unusual policies.

School is pretty much over, I don't see how you could walk away with a W at this point, unless your school has some pretty unusual policies.

Maybe it's just a CUNY thing. For us we have W's and WU's. After the cutoff for W, you can get a WU with permission from the department head or the teacher.

The only difference is basically a WU gets averaged as an F until you retake the class.

Maybe it's just a CUNY thing. For us we have W's and WU's. After the cutoff for W, you can get a WU with permission from the department head or the teacher.

The only difference is basically a WU gets averaged as an F until you retake the class.

Might as well take the WU then.... I'd suggest to have him call PTCAS and ask about WU's. Because from what I remember, W's don't get calculated into your GPA's. Well for mine they didn't... so it's best to ask as I do not have any experience with WU's.

If the WU and the F are the only options, and you had both options, I don't understand why you would even consider taking the F.

As an admissions committee member for my school, I would say to take the WU over the F. A 'W' or 'WU' could mean a withdrawal for any reason. An 'F' is an 'F'.

Reactions: 7 users
WU all the way if it's an option imo!

At my CUNY school, you can request to also have the course be considered "No credit/ NC". With this, you can at least re-take the class.

I wouldn't even consider taking an F. I got a W in a math class (multivariable calc....no surprise there) and I've been accepted to PT school. Granted, the class wasn't a prereq but whatever. Definitely take the W over the F and get a tutor or join a study group next time around to keep him on track.