Is it better to schedule hospital interviews early or late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chem Blade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will in very few weeks be a new grad. I currently intern at a hospital, and they have offered me interviews for a pharmacist position.

They are giving me the option of selecting a day to interview during a 2 week period. I don't know if it matter at all, but is it generally better to go near the start of the 2 week period or near the end?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I'm curious about how you got an intern at a hospital and which state? I honestly think it's better to go early cause if you impress them really well during your interview, you'll be granted the position. However, if you're not prepared, it's better to go in the middle. Keep in mind that you're also competing with others that want the job as well.

Congrats! I'm curious about how you got an intern at a hospital and which state? I honestly think it's better to go early cause if you impress them really well during your interview, you'll be granted the position. However, if you're not prepared, it's better to go in the middle. Keep in mind that you're also competing with others that want the job as well.

Thank you! I'm from New York. I got an intern position at the hospital during the summer of my 3rd year (essentially after I got my Pharmacy Intern permit). My college holds annual pharmacy career fairs, and so I just handed in my resume to the representative there. They called me up a few months after to schedule an interview. Then a month after the interview I was offered a position.

Members don't see this ad :)
For us who work first shift in a hospital, we are focused, engaged and stimulated in the morning. We begin to fade after lunch.

So how does this information helps you? If you are confident and knowing you will ahead of the pack, then interview in the morning as others suggested, set the bar for others. However, if you are average interviewee, but have good rapport with the team, afternoon is the way to go. This way, you will get by, without expose your weakness. Count on the fact that first and top candidate is usually not the one who ended up get hired.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

For us who work first shift in a hospital, we are focused, engaged and stimulated in the morning. We begin to fade after lunch.

So how does this information helps you? If you are confident and knowing you will ahead of the pack, then interview in the morning as others suggested, set the bar for others. However, if you are average interviewee, but have good rapport with the team, afternoon is the way to go. This way, you will get by, without expose your weakness. Count on the fact that first and top candidate is usually not the one who ended up get hired.

Good Luck.

I can't decide the time. I just select the date.

I can't decide the time. I just select the date.

Do apologize, I was side tracked other other posts. However, same strategy still apply.

If you are confident, interview first and force their hands. Have their minds set on you. Other interviewees would have to overwhelm them to change their mind.

On the other hand, if you are not confident, wait until last, so they only remember the best candidate vaguely and you vividly.

I have the experience of interviewing numerous residents, techs, students, pharmacist and even directors. At the end of the interview process, unless we kept great notes, we typically only remember the best, worst and most recent.

Give your best shot.