Is it Cheesy to ask for a letter of rec via e-mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDorbust

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering what your thoughts are on requesting letters of reccomendation. I graduated in December, and am never up at campus anymore. There are a few professors still need to ask for a LOR, and was wondering what your opinions are on asking via e-mail.

I did a search, but came up dry!

Members don't see this ad.

I would visit campus to ask just so you can jog the memory of your professor as to who you are.

If you live several hours away, then I would call and follow up by e-mail with your personal documents (PS, transcripts, resume).

I would only ask via email if you knew this professor really, really well. For instance, he can paint a portrait of your face because he or she has seen you so many times.

If this is a professor you barely know, it would be in line with the unwritten rules of asking-for-a-letter-etiquette to see him or her in person.

If the latter choice isn't possible, then I guess you have limited options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked most of my professors by email, and in the same email asked if they would like to meet to talk about my career goals, application, etc. Several of them did not even need to meet with me, and overall I got a lot of positive comments about my rec letters from interviewers. You might want to try that. If they would like to meet with you, though, I suggest you find a way out there unless you are very far from campus.

i would only ask if the prof knows you pretty well. for instance, i worked under a prof for 2 years doing research then i also had him in a class and he even had my cell number so if i emailed him he would undoubedly know who i was

I would only use email to ask to set up a meeting with the professors or find a time when they are free, then go up to campus w/ all the materials and ask them straight up... if they agree, then give them everything and a handshake.

Asking professors for LORs via email is a bit... lazy on your part. And we can't have that now, can we?

When the end of the semester is right around the corner, I'll ask my professors then if they felt comfortable writing a LOR. I'd try to do it after class or in office hours or something. If that's not possible, I send an e-mail while also asking if they want to meet in person to discuss my resume, career goals, etc. So far, all of them have told me they would love to write one when the time comes around, so I guess it works.

I began the process by asking for an LOR via email. At least where I went to school, there was no other way to contact them because a phone call usually went unanswered and showing up at a lab is highly discouraged.

Usually I would just send out a feeler and then meet up with them when they had the time to.

Also, if you don't know the prof well enough to ask by email (i.e. they won't remember you) then you might have to reconsider even getting a letter from them (unless you absolutely have to).

I agree that email should be fine if you aren't in the same city anymore. If the prof really likes you, they will be happy to write one for you regardless. if you are in the same city, I would make sure to meet up with them soon thereafter to discuss...

best strategy:

email asking to meet with the professor to discuss career goals

at the meeting ask for a letter.

i always got the okay first via email, then followed it up by a meeting in the office when my professor wanted...one professor moved to teach at texas tech...so i got one from her entirely via email correspondence..