Is it clinical?

mreyno18

May 29, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I work as a PCA (personal care assistant) for an older adult women who is a paraplegic.
My daily tasks include: bathing, transfers, dressing, grooming, basic housekeeping and laundry, driving to Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Center biweekly, and helping her with her physical therapy exercises, range of motion, and stretching.

Basically I do what a CNA does, but I’m not certified and I work in their home instead of in a care facility. I’m curious to see whether this counts as a clinical work experience or not?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
It's great experience, but I don't think it is clinical, because you are not interacting with her in an acute care setting, where she would be a patient.
Its borderline but I think I would call it clinical. But certainly dont rely on this as your only clinical

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
I work as a PCA (personal care assistant) for an older adult women who is a paraplegic.
My daily tasks include: bathing, transfers, dressing, grooming, basic housekeeping and laundry, driving to Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Center biweekly, and helping her with her physical therapy exercises, range of motion, and stretching.

Basically I do what a CNA does, but I’m not certified and I work in their home instead of in a care facility. I’m curious to see whether this counts as a clinical work experience or not?
I'd consider the hours where you enable the PT exercises as "clinical," I suspect this represents a small portion of your weekly routine. You'd do best to label it Employment-Not Clinical, and let adcomms make up their own minds.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.