Is it considered impolite to not wear makeup when I am volunteering in a clinic/hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meticulouslykiwi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do have a little acne on my face, and I've been trying to practice my makeup skills, but I haven't reached the stage where I'm confident enough to walk out without uneven makeup applied on my face. My parents have never allowed me to apply makeup, and they don't understand my reasoning that makeup (just light foundation or concealer) is considered a piece of the professional attire, so I've never gained experience until the past couple of weeks.

Will I be viewed as unprofessional if I don't wear makeup as a premed volunteer student?

Edit: Thank you everyone! Your opinions/advices are greatly appreciated and have helped me erase that concern. :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the more unprofessional thing would be to wear makeup if you didn’t know how to apply it. I have coworkers who apply way too much and look orange or have makeup lines because they don’t know how to blend. It looks worse than not wearing makeup.

Reactions: 3 users
Well I can tell you one thing, 50% of the population won't even be able to tell if you're wearing makeup or not.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re feeling self-conscious and have to have something on, go with concealer or foundation. No crazy eyeliner/lipstick/blush/bronzer/eyeshadow. It’s not unprofessional to not wear makeup. Frankly I wouldn’t wear makeup to the hospital..it’s just such an icky atmosphere and you’re going to be there for hours...clogging your pores..potentially aggravating your acne.....nobody really wears makeup to the hospital either way.

—from a girl who has worked in the hospital and loves makeup and also suffers from acne

Also pro tip: apply your foundation outside or near a window with natural lighting. It will prevent you from having splotchy/uneven foundation. If you have acne, I’d suggest using disposable sponges or make sure you wash your makeup brushes every time you use them to prevent spreading acne.

Reactions: 1 users
The only bad idea is bad makeup

No make up is just as professional as good makeup

Having worked in many clinical settings, I can say that makeup meant to even out the skin and conceal is usually fine, so long as it is applied properly. Contouring and all that is very different and I’m sure you know that.

It would look unprofessional to be done up like you’re about to take the stage with the Rockettes. If you feel comfortable and confident with a small amount to even out your skin, you’re well within the norm to apply it.

Also, if you don’t already see a dermatologist you should. Accutane is like a miracle cure, and one of my biggest personal regrets was not getting it sooner.

Reactions: 1 user
A beauty blender will save your life when it comes to blending. Use a handheld mirror while standing in front of a window with light coming through, that way you have full visibility.

I miss pre-allo

Reactions: 2 users
I do have a little acne on my face, and I've been trying to practice my makeup skills, but I haven't reached the stage where I'm confident enough to walk out without uneven makeup applied on my face. My parents have never allowed me to apply makeup, and they don't understand my reasoning that makeup (just light foundation or concealer) is considered a piece of the professional attire, so I've never gained experience until the past couple of weeks.

Will I be viewed as unprofessional if I don't wear makeup as a premed volunteer student?

Not all. I am in a similar boat and have consistently been told that no makeup is just fine, even with a little bit of acne.

Also, if you don’t already see a dermatologist you should. Accutane is like a miracle cure, and one of my biggest personal regrets was not getting it sooner.

And if your acne is hormonal and you want something safer and with fewer adverse effects, go for spironolactone. Accutane raised my cholesterol by 50 points, permanently dried out my skin, and didn't even get rid of my acne. But I'm not bitter or anything. :p

Anyways, nothing wrong with not wearing makeup, all that matters is that you look presentable and like you made an effort and want to be there.

And if your acne is hormonal and you want something safer and with fewer adverse effects, go for spironolactone. Accutane raised my cholesterol by 50 points, permanently dried out my skin, and didn't even get rid of my acne. But I'm not bitter or anything. :p

I'm using topical Benzoyl peroxide and tazorac and I'm doing pretty great with it! I was on accutane several times in my life and the cystic acne was solved, just dealing with hormonal stuff now

Thank you to everyone who shared their insights. This has been bothering me and I am so relieved that no makeup is fine.