Is it crazy to wear skirt when interviewing at NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview next week and the temp will be around 30 degrees.

I am wondering if wearing a skirt with stocking will be a bad idea, since the interview info specifically states that there will be outdoor walking.

I will be wearing a coat, but at other schools I was told to hang the coat in a closet during the interview day since we were indoors.

Can anyone who has interview there tell me if it is possible to get the coat before you go outside...Also, I will be wearing heels, not boots, but if they give you a chance to change shoes, I wanted to know if I can slip my boots in case it snows...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it is not a good idea if you are a man, then it is a GREAT idea.

sorry, bad joke. couldn't help it.

They let you get your coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that it would depend on how good you look in a skirt!!!

when I went for my NYMC interview on Dec. 11, it was about 25 degrees and with snow on the ground. I wore a skirt, and the reason I was friggin cold (even though the weather in my home town in MD is not that different) was that I stupidly wore a lightweight suede coat. As a result, I bought a long wool coat to wear for my Tufts interview in January after that, and it worked and looked great. Still have it today up in Boston. Definitely invest in a long wool coat, because there is absolutely outdoor walking.

oh my god...another one of these threads....should i wear long hair or short hair, make up, no make up, long nails, short nails, long skirt, short skirt :D

girls...ehem, let watcha give u a big tip, JUST APPEAR IN PERSON, with some cloth on, and look clean and professional...end of story...

by the way, if ur interviewer is a guy, wear a short skirt ;) don't forget to do the crossing of the legs :D

SORRY guys for posting another question related to clothing!!!!!!! I really appreciate all your feedbacks :)

LOL Watcha..you're hilarious.
I bet if they showed up lookin hot you wouldn't mind it...so why fuss? It's a girl thang, you know? We don't have the luxury to be low maintenance (read: long suit with boots) like a lot of guys are when it comes to appearance. Sorry for the generalization. Anyway, for some of us, everything's gotta be right. And if showing a little leg helps get your foot in the door (sorry, couldn't help it...) so be it. :D :D
Lotsa luv,
Tweets

Hey trying2becomeMD,

When is your interview? I will be there on the 10th. You are so brave for wearing a skirt suit! I was in NY in early Dec and it was pretty cold and i was glad that I went with a pant suit! Although..some to think of it..I have been the only girl with a pant suit in all of my interviews so far...hmmmm...

Anyway...since watcha brought up the make-up issue ...I was wondering..are you guys wearing lipsticks etc..to your interviews? I sort of want to..and then talk myself out of it..Are most of the women not wearing or wearing makeup? I mean lipsticks mostly since its the most visible component.
Sorry watcha..had to do it ! :D

I say wear what you are comfortable in, if you do not feel comfortable, you will probably not act as self assured...I'm wearing a nice, tailored, professional looking pant suit to GWU this month..,I rarely wear skirts, so if I did so for an interview, I probably woudn't feel like myself..I hope this makes some sense...GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

Originally posted by maple:
•I have been the only girl with a pant suit in all of my interviews so far...hmmmm...

Anyway...since watcha brought up the make-up issue ...I was wondering..are you guys wearing lipsticks etc..to your interviews? I sort of want to..and then talk myself out of it..Are most of the women not wearing or wearing makeup? I mean lipsticks mostly since its the most visible component.
Sorry watcha..had to do it ! :D •••

I wear a pant suit to my inverviews with a red (!) shell. There has been a mix of girls in pants and skirt suits at both of my interviews thus far, but so far no one else has worn red. However, my interviewers did not appear to be shocked. ;) Lipstick definitely, and other make-up if you generally wear it, but of course, on the restrained side. Just look your professional best.

Oh, and Katie is right, definitely invest in a long wool coat for winter interviews in cold climates. I got mine at a thrift shop, and it didn't set me back much at all.

It is considered professional for women to wear skirts to interviews. You will be fine with a jacket. I interviewed at NY Med (but a little earlier on when it was warmer) and you are not outside for that long...you'll be ok. Good luck on your interview.

Just another case where womens' issues are different than mens. Women just haven't been in this position (interviewing for medical schools) for 400 years like men and so we have to work out some of the questions ourselves. Don't get mad at us for requesting the advice of our peers!! I mean this to be taken lightly, but the scarcity of female role models is a truth in this process/profession. I have been reflecting on this a lot as I go through the madness.

To the point, wear a long wool coat, you should be fine. A pants-suit is a little more of a risk (sometimes they don't look as professional or as flattering), but wear what you will feel good in. Hypothermia is treatable :)