Third application cycle…crazy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoKoOnaJo

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
This is my third time applying to allopathic medical school. My scores are okay (50 percentile MCAT), 3.4s /3.7c gpa, typical ec (volunteering in a hosptial, shadowing a FM doc)…so pretty cookie cutter applicant. But each year I improve my application, for example, I went on a volunteer mission to Haiti this year.
I feel pretty standard across the board but, I think by the third application cycle I should’ve been selected. Overall very frustrated; My study buddies have all gotten in already (URM, and female) and their applications were virtually identical to mine.

Now my friend (an MS2) said something I first thought was ridiculous, but now I want to consider this Avenue for my fourth cycle. -he said :“Say your gay, so you can have URM status.”

(I’m a middle class straight white male/ suburban AF)
I want to add a flair to my application and change my sexuality to bisexual.

I believe I can write an awesome essay, explaining how growing up bisexual has open my eyes to the physical suffering of people unable to live their lives freely. I think this will give my essay an application and edge and put me through this time.

With a huge push towards diversity and inclusion, I think this is an actual tactic.

I don’t even feel bad about it because I’ve spent thousands of dollars on applications, suits for interviews, interview coaches , spent valuable time and felt years of heartbreak over failing to get in.

I just wanna add, when I inquired about why, my application wasn’t selected, schools, very rarely gave me actionable advice, and told me better luck next time.

Frankly, I’m pissed off, and if being bisexual doesn’t work this time, I’ll just be transgender next cycle.

To my LGBT+ Community, this is no way an attack towards you, I respect and love you guys. I would be extraordinary happy to work with you guys and treat patients in your community.

-will this work?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Didn't you write... "Being a doctor sounds awful..."?

Where have I heard about a similar scheme before? Oh wait... I watched a movie...

I'm crying that the tuition for Harvard Law was $10K per year in the plot.

Last edited:
  • Wow
girl theres a reason why you havent been admitted… med schools can see through ur BS from a mile away

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, if you're 'straight AF,' pls don't change your label to bisexual or transgender. Being happy to work with those in the queer community doesn't make you queer. This comes off as insensitive since you're basically using them as a stepping stone for your own personal benefit– getting into med school. They don't deserve that. .

• Care
Not to mention, since you applied before, some yellow flags may be raised... AMCAS has your prior applications and they will ask why the change... as will the other schools that you may have sent secondaries to if they kept a record of your responses there.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
This is my third time applying to allopathic medical school. My scores are okay (50 percentile MCAT), 3.4s /3.7c gpa, typical ec (volunteering in a hosptial, shadowing a FM doc)…so pretty cookie cutter applicant. But each year I improve my application, for example, I went on a volunteer mission to Haiti this year.
I feel pretty standard across the board but, I think by the third application cycle I should’ve been selected. Overall very frustrated; My study buddies have all gotten in already (URM, and female) and their applications were virtually identical to mine.

Now my friend (an MS2) said something I first thought was ridiculous, but now I want to consider this Avenue for my fourth cycle. -he said :“Say your gay, so you can have URM status.”

(I’m a middle class straight white male/ suburban AF)
I want to add a flair to my application and change my sexuality to bisexual.

I believe I can write an awesome essay, explaining how growing up bisexual has open my eyes to the physical suffering of people unable to live their lives freely. I think this will give my essay an application and edge and put me through this time.

With a huge push towards diversity and inclusion, I think this is an actual tactic.

I don’t even feel bad about it because I’ve spent thousands of dollars on applications, suits for interviews, interview coaches , spent valuable time and felt years of heartbreak over failing to get in.

I just wanna add, when I inquired about why, my application wasn’t selected, schools, very rarely gave me actionable advice, and told me better luck next time.

Frankly, I’m pissed off, and if being bisexual doesn’t work this time, I’ll just be transgender next cycle.

To my LGBT+ Community, this is no way an attack towards you, I respect and love you guys. I would be extraordinary happy to work with you guys and treat patients in your community.

-will this work?
This might be close to the top of most sh**y/unhinged things I've read someone actually say in a public setting and attempt to further justify their reasoning. Lots of people spend lots of money on applying and don't get in, that is not even close to a justification.

Your stats are considerably below average for allopathic schools and that's why you haven't been selected. Apply DO or do a post-bacc or retake the MCAT instead of flat out lying. Develop some integrity while you're at it.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
This is some good bait OP. Thanks for the thread and let us know how it goes :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
A 3.4s GPA / 50th percentile MCAT is not “cookie cutter”, they’re both very weak, I think those are the things holding you back (especially the MCAT)

This is my third time applying to allopathic medical school. My scores are okay (50 percentile MCAT)
OP, why did you reapply with a 500 MCAT? Why didn't you apply DO in your second app cycle? I have similar GPAs as you, but I would not have applied this year if I got 514 or lower on my recent and first MCAT attempt (and I'm URM Low SES). Why not spend 'thousands of dollars' on resources to help you get a higher MCAT instead of going through another app cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to be brutal here: Being an average applicant means being a non-admitted applicant as only 43% of all applicants are admitted.

There isn't a separate scale for LGBTQ+ applicants and changing your colors won't change your GPA or MCAT so you'll still be DOA in a 4th cycle. I interview a few dozen LGBTQ applicants each year and they have grades and scores as good or better than those who are straight.

What you can fix at this point is the MCAT. Do that before you apply again or you are just wasting more time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.