Is it easier for international students to get into DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Random6221997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering whether it was easier for an international student to get into a DO school vs a MD. I have a 3.8 gpa from an american university, and I'm doing research, volunteering, shadowing etc. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but plan on doing that very soon. I've also heard that most DO residency programs do not sponsor visas. Is that true?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but what I do know is that if you're a foreigner trying to get into the USA you need to move FAST. Some tremendous things are happening with our immigration policies and you don't want to get the short end of the stick.

If you come from a white country, you'll be fine. If you come from a 'brown' country, try out for pole vaulting.

I wish I could tell you was I kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I was wondering whether it was easier for an international student to get into a DO school vs a MD. I have a 3.8 gpa from an american university, and I'm doing research, volunteering, shadowing etc. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but plan on doing that very soon. I've also heard that most DO residency programs do not sponsor visas. Is that true?

Also you need to ask yourself as an international student where do you want to practice? There are quite a few countries that don't recognize DOs as a medical physician, and many others are a case by case basis.

It's harder for international students to get into DO school than domestic students by a long shot.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the original poster was asking if an international student had a certain GPA, MCAT, LoRs, and ECs, would it generally be easier for this person to get into a DO school rather than a MD school. I would say this is true since the admission standards of DO schools are on average lower than MD schools. Good luck OP!

Reactions: 1 users
There are ~ 14 DO schools that accept internationals. Mine only takes US citizens or green card holders.

I'm actually going to say yes. For one, I think fewer international students apply to DO schools than MD schools. In Canada, for example, DO is still a pretty novel idea so most only apply to US or Caribbean MD or go to 'Straya.

I'm actually going to say yes. For one, I think fewer international students apply to DO schools than MD schools. In Canada, for example, DO is still a pretty novel idea so most only apply to US or Caribbean MD or go to 'Straya.

DO is rapidly expanding not only in the states but also Canada. Although we don't have any DO schools, our universities are slowing beginning to have "pre-DO societies".

Disagree that most Canadians go to Caribbean or ' Straya. In fact, this is a big mistake rather than going DO. Way harder to come back to Canada as you are virtually guaranteed a residency position as a USDO in the states. Definitely cannot say this as a IMG from Carib, etc applying to the few left over residency spots in the US. Also, year after year stats show more Canadians are applying DO and matriculating.

DO is rapidly expanding not only in the states but also Canada. Although we don't have any DO schools, our universities are slowing beginning to have "pre-DO societies".

Disagree that most Canadians go to Caribbean or ' Straya. In fact, this is a big mistake rather than going DO. Way harder to come back to Canada as you are virtually guaranteed a residency position as a USDO in the states. Definitely cannot say this as a IMG from Carib, etc applying to the few left over residency spots in the US. Also, year after year stats show more Canadians are applying DO and matriculating.
I didn't say anything about how good or bad it is, but it is certainly more popular to go out of the country than it is to go DO. At least, today.

If you are an international, you need to consider that immigration does not take 4-5 years. It is taking 15-20 years to just get permanent residence. And no, even if you come from europe, that will not be the fastest method. The real fact is you will struggle very much with residency since that is government funded and hospitals may just not want to pay for your visa. DOs can practice basically anywhere and places that put restrictions also put restrictions on foreign mds. If you have a list comparing limitations please do otherwise DO facilities hold bigger interest in medical missions in my opinion than md.

How can I find a list of these 14?
It's on the AOA site, I believe. There's some factbook out there about all the DO schools.

Or you could do something extremely dangerous and radical, and actually go to the school's own admissions websites. This is something that even people with 1000s of hours of research experience can't bother lifting a finger to do.

Reactions: 1 user
At AZCOM a large amount of people interviewing were from Canada.

At AZCOM a large amount of people interviewing were from Canada.
For some reason, Canadians don’t count as international for some schools. On MSAR, Canadians, International students, OOS, and IS all had their own categories :eek:

Can't speak for other countries but I can speak concerning Canada. During the application cycle I was a Canadian Citizen in the US on a student VISA. Apply to all the international friendly schools. Being from Canada, I had more luck with the North East and California. Getting a green card took me less than a year (my wife was an american citizen). DO's a welcome to practice in Canada, especially in rural parts. I had a family physician from my hometown that I randomly chatted with at the airport, and he told me he would love to have me join his practice in 7 years time.
During my interviews Canadians did appear to be considered differently than most other internationals.

Can't speak for other countries but I can speak concerning Canada. During the application cycle I was a Canadian Citizen in the US on a student VISA. Apply to all the international friendly schools. Being from Canada, I had more luck with the North East and California. Getting a green card took me less than a year (my wife was an american citizen). DO's a welcome to practice in Canada, especially in rural parts. I had a family physician from my hometown that I randomly chatted with at the airport, and he told me he would love to have me join his practice in 7 years time.
During my interviews Canadians did appear to be considered differently than most other internationals.
MSUCOM and UNECOM seem to be very Canadian friendly.

I don't know, but what I do know is that if you're a foreigner trying to get into the USA you need to move FAST. Some tremendous things are happening with our immigration policies and you don't want to get the short end of the stick.

If you come from a white country, you'll be fine. If you come from a 'brown' country, try out for pole vaulting.

I wish I could tell you was I kidding.
hahaha hahah thanks for answering the question so carefully and also you're hilarious :|