Is it easier to get a full-time or part-time position at a retail chain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetseyJohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gracias! Is this the same experience others have found?

Members don't see this ad :)
Full time is easier.

I just went to a career fair on campus and my buddy only wants work part-time weekends and was inquiring about such positions and had a tough time getting any leads in retail, though hospital staff weekends in an undesirable location couldn't get enough.

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't really sure, because I figure if a chain hires a bunch of part-time workers, they wouldn't have to provide as many full-time benefits. I think 30 hours/week would be ideal, as it is enough hours to make a decent amount of money without getting burned out. Do any chains consider 30 hours/week full-time? I wonder if it would make a difference if your friend wanted to work part-time generally (as opposed to just weekends).

most give benefits at 30+ hours a week, but full time employment typically requires 40-42 hours per week. I think retail right now has too many applicants looking for full time jobs which is decreasing the need for part timers regardless of the schedule.

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't really sure, because I figure if a chain hires a bunch of part-time workers, they wouldn't have to provide as many full-time benefits. I think 30 hours/week would be ideal, as it is enough hours to make a decent amount of money without getting burned out. Do any chains consider 30 hours/week full-time? I wonder if it would make a difference if your friend wanted to work part-time generally (as opposed to just weekends).

I know that 35hrs/wk at RA is FT with benefits.....

generally, speaking 32hrs/wk is considered FT with benefits at most places in business.