is it easier to get into the new med schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like new schools are popping up for both MD and DO. Just wondering if they are a lot easier to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

Which are the new MD schools

Which are the new MD schools

UofA is having another campus in Phoenix, AZ. They are starting to recruit students for fall 2007 entering class

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like new schools are popping up for both MD and DO. Just wondering if they are a lot easier to get into.

No, these schools will not be any easier to get into than other medical schools. In every case of a new school, the admissions and the administration are made up of people who have obtained their experience at existing medical schools. If you were not a competitive candidate for an existing medical school, you will not be a competitive candidate for a new medical school.

Also be aware that the academic averages (undergraduate GPA and MCAT scores) have steadily increased every year thus candidates are have become more competitive not less. The average GPA/MCAT for a matriculant in 2004 (the last year that we have numbers was GPA 3.6 and MCAT 30. If the prevailing trend continues, these numbers either stayed even or went higher for the two years since then.

Now, as a re-applicant, you have experience. You know the deadlines, the procedures and in some cases, the interview systems. This gives you a slight edge. If you were previously unsuccessful in attaining medical school matriculation, you would be wise to figure out why you were unsuccessful and make the necessary changes. This is the major reason, many people are successful on the second time applying.

While the new schools are great and will help to alleviate the projected phyician shortages in the future, they are still conditionally accredited medical schools and will have the same requirements for admission, academic standards and quest for the most qualified students of their older counterparts.

I would assume that since new med schools don't have a reputation that the most competitive students will stay away. From this I would think it would be slightly easier but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

I would assume that since new med schools don't have a reputation that the most competitive students will stay away. From this I would think it would be slightly easier but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

That's what I was thinking. I wasnt saying that these schools were as easy as the foreign schools, just that it is less competitive since most competitive students want a established school, better reputation, etc.

Usually when they open, they have very few spots ala FSU which I believe had 32 spots when it first opened. If it is a state school, all people from that state will apply there making it just as difficult.

You're probably not the only one with that line of thinking. Many may try the same route thinking that "new" = "Easy", but that's never always the case. Also, most will definitely favor instate as said above.

It may be easier if less people are applying b/c they haven't heard of the new school.

Yes, it is easier becasue alot of people don't apply because of certification/

Easier than the more established school in part because the more competitive students may not care to apply but not so much that it will be 'easy' easy.

it would be easier because less people would apply to them since they are new and don't have any reputation. also...also applicants with lower chances of getting into other schools are more likely to apply to newer schools. as far as your chances of getting into the new med school really depends on where you stand among the other applicants.

I bet they've been established before.