Is it easy to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craigferguson

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going to dental school if I do not get into medical school. Is it easy to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering going to dental school if I do not get into medical school. Is it easy to get in?

You may be a troll, but based on your other question in the "dental" forum you may be sincere.

Dental school is very difficult to get into, with acceptance rates very similar to med school. Check out this excel spreadsheet by doc toothache and it should give you a good idea of what to expect GPA wise. Also consider that a 21 DAT is 90-95 percentile, so you can compare your MCAT percentile (very rough estimate).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=810649

Finally, if you want to be a physician and especially if all of your EC's are MD oriented you may want to consider DO school. From my understanding DO seems a little easier to get into than dental. Also, dental schools want to see a sincere interest in dentistry, generally 100 hours of shadowing is recommended. Dental volunteering and assisting is also a huge plus.

The vast majority of us have always wanted to go into dentistry from the start and it hasn't really been a back up. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.... the world of medicine and the world of dentistry are pretty different. Good luck with your decision.
imgres

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You may be a troll, but based on your other question in the "dental" forum you may be sincere.

Dental school is very difficult to get into, with acceptance rates very similar to med school. Check out this excel spreadsheet by doc toothache and it should give you a good idea of what to expect GPA wise. Also consider that a 21 DAT is 90-95 percentile, so you can compare your MCAT percentile (very rough estimate).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=810649

Finally, if you want to be a physician and especially if all of your EC's are MD oriented you may want to consider DO school. From my understanding DO seems a little easier to get into than dental. Also, dental schools want to see a sincere interest in dentistry, generally 100 hours of shadowing is recommended. Dental volunteering and assisting is also a huge plus.

The vast majority of us have always wanted to go into dentistry from the start and it hasn't really been a back up. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.... the world of medicine and the world of dentistry are pretty different. Good luck with your decision.
imgres
You cant compare the two since they dont use the same standardized test. You can compare DO to MD but not DO or MD to DDS/DMD. Also, I heard that the DAT is a lot easier than the MCAT. Dont know how true that is since I have seen only MCAT practice test.

Last edited:
You cant compare the two since they dont use the same standardized test. You can compare DO to MD but not DO or MD to DDS/DMD. Also, I heard that the DAT is a lot easier than the MCAT. Dont know how true that is since I have seen only MCAT practice test.

It doesn't really matter if the MCAT is harder or not, because you don't take the MCAT to get into dental school. Everyone takes the same test, so if the DAT is an easier test, everyone gets less wrong. That is the beauty of standardized testing.

yes, very easy.

Its even safe to say that dental school is like your typical community college (everyone gets in)

Last edited:

Threads like this make me sick. There are people here who GENUINELY want to go to dental school, and I hate it when people like you who have DS as a "backup" get in versus them. Go find another bridge to hide under...troll.

Yep :)

But it involves a lot of hard work. If you do not get into med school try for dental no harm in that.

It really does amaze me how the average college student or citizen thinks Dental school is so easy to get into. :laugh:

Threads like this make me sick. There are people here who GENUINELY want to go to dental school, and I hate it when people like you who have DS as a "backup" get in versus them. Go find another bridge to hide under...troll.

M'eh, I'm over it now. The road goes both ways. If I don't get into dental school, med school is my backup..because unlike dental school, med school groups you in a new pool of applicants if you have a Master's degree.

Sure is. In fact, failing to get into one health professions school is a great way to increase your chances of getting into another.

Someone please tell me this guy is joking.

Wow... even though your chances of getting into dental school is possibly higher than medical school, you will be going through hell for 4 years doing something you never really liked..it was just a back up plan. and then you will work the rest of your life in a field that you didnt really like..and then you'll just be another miserable person.... if thats what you want go for it! oh and good luck!

LOL cant believe OP was banned
i wanted to suggest podiatry

Wow... even though your chances of getting into dental school is possibly higher than medical school, you will be going through hell for 4 years doing something you never really liked..it was just a back up plan. and then you will work the rest of your life in a field that you didnt really like..and then you'll just be another miserable person.... if thats what you want go for it! oh and good luck!

It's hard to say with chances about medical and dental. If we're talking just M.D. schools, then yes...but the thing that makes medical a LITTLE easier are D.O. schools, which obviously increases your chances...so it's pretty close.