Is it ethical to accept gift money from clients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlandPussycat

UC Davis c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My curiosity was sparked by a friend's situation. Following the death of a client's dog, they (a technician) received a thank-you card containing a check for several hundred dollars from that client.
Now, I've seen many displays of gratitude from clients - flowers, baked goods, cards, and small, thoughtful gifts. I have never, however, heard of a staff member receiving money (especially such a large amount) as an expression of gratitude.
Based on what I've seen, it is fine for doctors and staff members to accept physical gifts. But money? Is it ethical for a staff member to accept that sort of thing? Is it ethical for a doctor to do so?
She was pretty taken aback by the situation, as was I, and I'm not such what she decided to do. Were we making a mountain out of a molehill?

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually really curious to hear what others have to say here. I think a small amount is one thing - I've had clients tip myself and other techs for special help with things, like going to the house to drop off meds or help pill a cat on my way home or what-not, but never more than $20 or so. On occasion someone will want to thank the staff or a particular person with gifts of food. One guy bought us all pizza for lunch because he didn't have the cash to tip the two techs who helped him, and one woman bought us pizza all the time (we had one client who was constantly giving everyone bottles of bad wine as a thank-you gift, she was the sweetest little old lady!). But several hundred dollars? Yikes. As nice a gesture as that is, I would be really uncomfortable with it and question accepting it as well. Not that I couldn't use a client like that! ;)

You can have her send the check to 8006 River Road and I will look into it for her. ;)

Seriously though... wow! I personally would feel completely uncomfortable accepting it. I would return it to the client, thank them for the gesture, and remind them that I took care of her dog because I love doing it.
BUT, depending on the client, they could take this as offensive and rude. So I really have no clue. Did she mention it to the practice owner? If I were in the situation, I might ask the owner what they think since it is technically their client. I would want it to be there decision.
That is a really tough one and I'm sure you will get tons of good, and varying opinions. :lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to ask my professional practice and ethics professor from undergrad (he and I did not get along btw), he would say gifts of any kind are not appropriate. I'm not really sure how I feel but it is easier to accept gifts like fruit, baked goods, etc. A check for that much just feels wrong. Could you maybe ask if she could write a check to an animal- or veterinary-related fund or something? I think that is a way of saying you can't accept the check while offering something that might be of her interest. We just had a guest lecturer who mentioned donations to the Canine Health Foundation. Apparently, donations can be specified for research on specific diseases, in certain breeds, etc. so that is kind of cool.

If you were to ask my professional practice and ethics professor from undergrad (he and I did not get along btw), he would say gifts of any kind are not appropriate. I'm not really sure how I feel but it is easier to accept gifts like fruit, baked goods, etc. A check for that much just feels wrong. Could you maybe ask if she could write a check to an animal- or veterinary-related fund or something? I think that is a way of saying you can't accept the check while offering something that might be of her interest. We just had a guest lecturer who mentioned donations to the Canine Health Foundation. Apparently, donations can be specified for research on specific diseases, in certain breeds, etc. so that is kind of cool.

This is a great idea!

We just had a guest lecturer who mentioned donations to the Canine Health Foundation. Apparently, donations can be specified for research on specific diseases, in certain breeds, etc. so that is kind of cool.

That is really awesome! I'm gonna look at that. I like that idea.

I feel like it would be unethical to accept it for personal use. But maybe talk to the client about putting it towards a little fund for owners who don't have the money for treatment? Or ask if you can donate it to a rescue on her behalf? I think further communication with the client would be warranted in order to allocate the funds to a good cause supported by the said owner.

A check is too problematic, records and what not. Cash, no problem.

So everybody feels like this is unethical, but nobody has actually stated a reason why... Only reason I can brainstorm is that she might preferentially treat the owner's pets different in the future?

I googled a bit and found nothing for veterinary, but some articles on it written from the human medical perspective, and apparently both the AMA and UK Nurses Association have specific statements in their ethics stating that they should not accept gifts "that might be interpreted as an attempt to gain preferential treatment," or "if accepting the gift represents an economic hardship for the patient."

There's quite a lot of opinions...

Cornell apparently has a policy here, but I can't access it without a password.

I don't know. On one hand, it does feel sort of wrong to accept a larger sum... but I also feel like if you're going to shun one gift, you should really have established limits and policies on sort of "how much is too much," not just an arbitrary feeling on the subject. I also think that some people really like giving gifts, and if those people also happen to be from wealthy backgrounds, sometimes the gifts can seem more extravagant to the average person than to the person giving it.

If I was to accept the money, I would merely write a note to the client thanking them for their generous gift and let them know that I placed the money into our good samaritan account. (Although, I probably would at least buy myself a coffee!)

I don't think it is ethically wrong (personal opinion not lega) but I do think that it can have a bad impression on other clients if they were to hear about it or it could cause other staff members who were involved to feel under appreciated. It is always best to be above reproach.

Yeah, either an account to help animals that come in needing care that the owners (legitimately) can not afford, or a nice donation to an appropriate organization or cause (and sending the certificate or whatever to the person that made the donation). That would be my way of doing it.

A lot of interesting responses, and it seems like most of them lean towards not accepting the money, or donating it to some sort of charity cause.
Personally, I'm not sure what I would do in the same situation. $500 (the actual amount of the check) is a tempting amount of money, and I think it was given with a note along the lines of "we hope this money helps you on your way to vet school". But yes, a very uncomfortable gesture, especially considering the fact that the owner was having a very difficult time accepting the death of her dog. Yikes.

I've always wondered, as I've seen the gifts that doctors and staff receive from clients, how much is too much? Where is the line between thoughtful and uncomfortable. It's sort of a grey area for me.

A lot of interesting responses, and it seems like most of them lean towards not accepting the money, or donating it to some sort of charity cause.
Personally, I'm not sure what I would do in the same situation. $500 (the actual amount of the check) is a tempting amount of money, and I think it was given with a note along the lines of "we hope this money helps you on your way to vet school". But yes, a very uncomfortable gesture, especially considering the fact that the owner was having a very difficult time accepting the death of her dog. Yikes.

I've always wondered, as I've seen the gifts that doctors and staff receive from clients, how much is too much? Where is the line between thoughtful and uncomfortable. It's sort of a grey area for me.

I think if they meant it for the purpose of helping with vet school, then that's what they want it to go toward. I thought it was just a $500 check, I didn't realize the other part. For me, that changes things. If I gave someone a check for $500 and a note saying "to help with vet school" that's what I want to give my $500 for. I would be offended if it was given to something else that I didn't choose. So I feel like that changes things a bit. JMO though.

Members don't see this ad :)
And many people get a lot of joy out of doing nice things like that for someone, and to them it may not be a lot of money. I wouldn't want to take that joy away from them. A very sincere thank you and maybe keeping them up to date as the vet school process goes along, might mean the most to them.

So if they know you and personally want to help YOU... welp. Yeah, I would take it, but I would go out of my way to thank them a lot. I suppose they think you will be a good vet and want to support you in your pursuit of that? I think that's great.

Yeah, if they gave it for that specific purpose, I agree with TT. That is very kind of them!!

I think if they meant it for the purpose of helping with vet school, then that's what they want it to go toward. I thought it was just a $500 check, I didn't realize the other part. For me, that changes things. If I gave someone a check for $500 and a note saying "to help with vet school" that's what I want to give my $500 for. I would be offended if it was given to something else that I didn't choose. So I feel like that changes things a bit. JMO though.

Agreed. :thumbup: It's still a hefty gift, but it's clear that thought went into it. Provided the clients don't seem like the type who will hold the gift over her head, I think it's a nice gesture.

As long as I felt it was clear it wasn't "buying" them preferential treatment, I'd feel ok accepting it. The flip side of our discomfort receiving the gift is that to some people giving gifts is a really important way to say thank you; I'd want to honor that.

I don't see the problem in any situation.

What the heck is preferential treatment in a vet practice?

The only problem I can see is if an employee were to not charge in the future appropriately, but that is a problem with the employee/employer relationship.

There is no fiduciary/power/political relationship involved so I don't see any conflict.

I would be delighted and graciously accept - personally thanking them, writing a thank you note, and follow up thank yous.

The average graduate is six figures in debt. I'd be thrilled that someone found my work so outstanding that they saw fit to add a gift.

If I was sitting pretty in the financial department, I'd forward that to a charitable cause. As it stands, I'm my own charitable cause.

Gift giving is can also be emotionally important to the giver - deflecting a gift can be seen as not being appreciative in some cultures.

I don't see the problem in any situation.

What the heck is preferential treatment in a vet practice?

Just off the top of my head? My vet books out dentals months in advance (I think right now she's booking October). Some types of people might expect that by 'gifting' money they might get favorable treatment of a special appointment made for them.

I can think of all sorts of ways you could treat one client preferentially over another. Dog comes in for a wellness exam and you notice a lumpy bumpy and the client gripes "Geez, doc, I've always been pretty generous to you - do you HAVE to charge me for that FNA?"

People pull that kind of stuff.

Just off the top of my head? My vet books out dentals months in advance (I think right now she's booking October). Some types of people might expect that by 'gifting' money they might get favorable treatment of a special appointment made for them.

I can think of all sorts of ways you could treat one client preferentially over another. Dog comes in for a wellness exam and you notice a lumpy bumpy and the client gripes "Geez, doc, I've always been pretty generous to you - do you HAVE to charge me for that FNA?"

People pull that kind of stuff.
I don't think the first example is unethical in any way. Different clients are treated differently, not a question of ethics or causing any particular harm to me.

The second is not the decision of the vet unless they are the owner. If people are doing this they could be committing a crime if they are not the owner (theft of service). That is more than an ethical issue.

Generally I would be looking for something that legally would influence the recipient unfairly. Like I award you something that is in my power simply because I got this money from you, not because of any good reason.

I still don't see it.

Maybe I am just morally deficient here.

Generally I would be looking for something that legally would influence the recipient unfairly. Like I award you something that is in my power simply because I got this money from you, not because of any good reason.

I think you need to look beyond the ethics and legality of accepting money (I don't see issues there either) and consider what's good for a practice. I never said anything about either of my examples falling into the ethical realm, and I didn't intend them to. The first could easily cause problems when one client finds out another got preferential treatment, and the second is simply a hassle that you've created for yourself by setting up the situation.

Honestly, I think if you are accepting gifts like wine, fruit baskets, pizza etc...where is the difference in accepting gift money? In a strictly ethical sense, seems to me that one gift is the same as any other. Buying $20 in pizza might be the same percentage of a client's assets that $500 might be to someone else's (certainly not mine, haha).

I don't think the first example is unethical in any way. Different clients are treated differently, not a question of ethics or causing any particular harm to me.

The second is not the decision of the vet unless they are the owner. If people are doing this they could be committing a crime if they are not the owner (theft of service). That is more than an ethical issue.

I still don't see it.

Maybe I am just morally deficient here.

I think you're right that different clients receive varying treatment in subtle (or not-so-subtle) ways. For example, if you're an extremely nice client who brings their pet in for a non-scheduled urgent-type appointment, you will probably still get charged the regular appointment fee. But if you are a complete jerk about it, the doctor may be more likely to charge you the emergency exam fee. I feel like I see things like that often enough.

But if there has been any exchange of money or large gifts, I suppose it could taint some interactions that you might have with a client. If they give a doctor money, and suddenly things aren't being charged for, and the doctor turns down eight fit-ins in one day, only to accept that client as a walk-in..... Well, that would be questionable.
On the other hand, we do see doctor's friends and family receiving things like free exams, etc, so I guess there's a lot to be said for discretion.

Tl:DR - I have a lot to learn about discretion and practice ethics. :shrug: