Is it extremely uncommon for MD-PhDs to do just clinical work? Does it happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to MSTPs this cycle, and I'm sure I'd love a career that's research-heavy, but I really want the clinical aspects. However, I'm the type of person who likes to know all of his options. I know that plenty of MD/PhDs do just research and don't do clinical work at all. Does the opposite happen (100% clinical)? Is it exceptionally rare? Would an employer choose someone else over you if you decide you don't want to do research at all, or if you want to do research part-time?

At this point in my life, I see myself preferring a research-heavy life, so right now I'm confident this is what I want to do, and I'd probably end up leaning toward 100% research than 100% clinical down the line. I just want to know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a beautiful slide from the responders to a survey of MD/PhD graduates who are in academic medicine. It is a continuum from 0% research in <5% of graduates (most faculty gets 5-10% for scholarly activities), to 53% of graduates doing at least 50% research, to about 10% doing 100% research. Sure, this is a biased list of responders to a survey but that was a highly substantial group (~70%).

There is a beautiful slide from the responders to a survey of MD/PhD graduates who are in academic medicine. It is a continuum from 0% research in <5% of graduates (most faculty gets 5-10% for scholarly activities), to 53% of graduates doing at least 50% research, to about 10% doing 100% research. Sure, this is a biased list of responders to a survey but that was a highly substantial group (~70%).
1588636381571.png

are u referring to this? from Skip Brass' JCI paper? (AFT=academic full time for others)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The posted results are from the individuals who reported working in academia. There are a sizable number of MSTP grads who end up bailing out of academics altogether and go full clinical. This isn't considered an optimal outcome from a program perspective but it does happen. At that point the PhD is just a decoration and you are on the same footing as any other clinician.

Reactions: 4 users
The posted results are from the individuals who reported working in academia. There are a sizable number of MSTP grads who end up bailing out of academics altogether and go full clinical. This isn't considered an optimal outcome from a program perspective but it does happen. At that point the PhD is just a decoration and you are on the same footing as any other clinician.

not OP, but they have a similar question: are these physicians at any hiring disadvantage if they actively don’t want to do research? I know it’s not the best use of time, space, or resources, though.

If you're an MD/PhD student or applicant at a major medical center, you will only meet physician scientists with significant research roles. The program doesn't want you to emulate a majority clinician because that's not the goal of training you. These physician-scientists will only be the successful ones, which leads to survivorship bias.

Does the opposite happen (100% clinical)?

Yes, as pointed out by fencer above for MD/PhDs within academics. Also, ~15% of MD/PhDs go into private practice, so they can be assumed to be 100% clinical as well.

Would an employer choose someone else over you if you decide you don't want to do research at all, or if you want to do research part-time?

It depends on the job. This goes both ways. Your clinical and research expectations need to be in sync.

not OP, but they have a similar question: are these physicians at any hiring disadvantage if they actively don’t want to do research? I know it’s not the best use of time, space, or resources, though.

Depends on the department and specialty. I was hired basically 100% clinical within academics with no other choices (I couldn't even find a majority research fellowship) and fought my way out of clinic days and duties to about 50/50 currently. I worry every day that my research will fail and I'll be forced back to 100% clinical. I continue to only have majority clinical job opportunities within academics. YMMV.

Last edited:
Same here as Neuronix. I do as much research as I can fund. I was up to about 50/50 last year but then dropped back down to 70/30 after switching institutions. Hoping some pending funding applications will come through in the near future to rebalance my ratio.

The PhD is not any disadvantage if you are actively seeking 100% clinical work as far as I know. It's just completely irrelevant to that situation.