Is it feasible?

Started by JohnBlack
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JohnBlack

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 23, and I graduated from the University of Arkansas with a history major and 3.2 GPA this summer. I was premed when I started college, but then I switched my major to history. Right now I'm teaching English abroad and contemplating what my next move will be. My dream has always been to become a doctor, and I regret not taking it more seriously my first few years in college. Is there any way I can go back to school and take the rest of the premed courses (or take them again), raise my GPA, and have a realistic chance of getting into a decent medical school (MD)? I've been reading other posts and it sounds like a post-bac would be the thing to do, or can I just take the courses without doing a post-bac?

(When I was in school I took Chem 1 my first semester of my freshman year, and I made an F...I took it again my sophomore year and made a C. I made a B in Biology and a B in Microbiology. I made A's in all my labs. Those were the only three premed sciences I took. Again I wasn't the most committed student in those days.)
 
My situation was very similar -- started college with vague premed thoughts but bombed my chem class 1st semeter (D+) and didn't take another science class after that. Graduated with a 3.2 in journalism and worked in that field for several years until I couldn't ignore the desire to be a doctor anymore.
I went back and took my prereqs 2 or 3 at a time while working full-time (took me a few years), then took the MCAT in July. I'll be starting medical school in the fall 🙂
I know lots of people have had success with a post-bac, but it wasn't an option for me since I needed to keep working.
Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the responses! What route would you suggest I take? Should I do a post-bac? Green Tomato, did you get into an MD school?
 
Yep, it's an MD school -- UNC, which is also where I went for undergrad (but not where I did my prereqs). Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know details; I'm happy to share.
 
JohnBlack,

The post bac doesn't need to be a formal one. The advantage to DO schools is that you can replace that low Gen Chem grade with a higher grade so that can raise your GPA. But look into both, don't limit yourself unless YOU want to go DO.

Kris