Is it good to have an English prof write LoR?

Started by stagius24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stagius24

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,


I am just wondering if it is ok to have an English prof as a reference. I saw most people have their references as science professors and employer. I rarely saw people asked for their non-science prof for letter.

Please give advice
 
Hello everyone,


I am just wondering if it is ok to have an English prof as a reference. I saw most people have their references as science professors and employer. I rarely saw people asked for their non-science prof for letter.

Please give advice

I think you will be fine, stagius24. That being said, I am no expert on the admission process (I am applying this year myself). However, if you go to http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm and check the schools you are applying to, they will have a list of LORs they require and then those they recommend.

A random college I chose (MidwesterN) had this listed:

LOR types that are REQUIRED:
Faculty Adviser
Pre-Health Adviser
Professor (Liberal Arts)
Professor (Math)
Professor (Science)


As you can see, Liberal Arts professor is listed. I think that means you are golden. I would check with your personal colleges, however. I think a good LOR from an English professor speaks bounds more than a mediocre one from a science professor. They can also attest to your communication skills much more expertly than a science professor could - something important in the field of pharmacy.
 
One of my LORs came from a nonscience prof. He knew me really well and I was pretty sure that he would write a good letter. My guess is that the adcom would rather see a letter from an English prof that really can speak to who you are vs. a chem prof who barely knows you.