Is it good to have an English prof write LoR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stagius24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if it is ok to have an English prof as a reference. I saw most people have their references as science professors and employer. I rarely saw people asked for their non-science prof for letter.

Please give advice

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if it is ok to have an English prof as a reference. I saw most people have their references as science professors and employer. I rarely saw people asked for their non-science prof for letter.

Please give advice

I think you will be fine, stagius24. That being said, I am no expert on the admission process (I am applying this year myself). However, if you go to http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm and check the schools you are applying to, they will have a list of LORs they require and then those they recommend.

A random college I chose (MidwesterN) had this listed:

LOR types that are REQUIRED:
Faculty Adviser
Pre-Health Adviser
Professor (Liberal Arts)
Professor (Math)
Professor (Science)

As you can see, Liberal Arts professor is listed. I think that means you are golden. I would check with your personal colleges, however. I think a good LOR from an English professor speaks bounds more than a mediocre one from a science professor. They can also attest to your communication skills much more expertly than a science professor could - something important in the field of pharmacy.

One of my LORs came from a nonscience prof. He knew me really well and I was pretty sure that he would write a good letter. My guess is that the adcom would rather see a letter from an English prof that really can speak to who you are vs. a chem prof who barely knows you.