Is it hard to become a dentist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

logitek

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I'm sure you will think this is an ignorant question) ;)
anyway, I am a junior in highschool and I am considering pediatric dentistry as an occupation. it sounds like a good job, good money and good hours. but I am worried I am not a hard enough worker or smart enough to pass the classes. I am only a b+ student (like 89 average)... and what attracted most of you to dentistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Well you are definately smart enough to be thinking about your future! When I was in high school, the last thing I was thinking of was dentistry, and I think that was a huge mistake.

If you dont think you are a hard enough worker, then you have time to change that. The key to getting into a dental school is to get a good undergrad GPA and good marks on your DAT. If you really want it, then go out and get it. If you work hard, and keep your eye on your ultimate goal, then no, it is not hard to become a dentist.

Remember, stay motivated, and work to get what you want.

Good Luck

Originally posted by logitek
(I'm sure you will think this is an ignorant question) ;)
anyway, I am a junior in highschool and I am considering pediatric dentistry as an occupation. it sounds like a good job, good money and good hours. but I am worried I am not a hard enough worker or smart enough to pass the classes. I am only a b+ student (like 89 average)... and what attracted most of you to dentistry?

Becoming a good dentist is a lot of work, yes. But it's enjoyable work (for the most part) if it's a field you enjoy. Furthermore, just about any worthwhile career requires a lot of work in order to advance and succeed; it's just a matter of choosing one that you enjoy, so the work is more enjoyable. Good luck!

to logitek:

If you are wondering how difficult is the material you have to learn in dental school, the answer is that it is not any harder than the science courses material in college. You will find out in the next five years if you are smart enough to handle it, and I'm sure you will do fine.

As far as whether or not the dental profession is for you, well, you still got 5 years to find out. So go out there and observe some dentists as well as get exposed to other professions and see what's right for you.

Good luck.