is it harder to ace the MCAT or step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know that obviously they test different materials. I studied very hard for the mcat and still did average because verbal killed me...i realized that no matter how hard i tried, it'd still be next to impossible for me to get a 14V like some people can.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT is more a test of good test taking habits than of cumulative knowledge. Step 1 is more a test of cumulative knowledge than of good test taking habits.

Step 1 is harder by far. Is the SAT as hard as the MCAT? It's a similar jump in standardized testing.

Last edited:
I agree that step 1 is harder then the MCAT, but for some reason I am no where near as worried about it. You might say it's because it's a year away, but I started to worry about the MCAT freshman year...

MCAT is more a test of good test taking habits than of cumulative knowledge. Step 1 is more a test of cumulative knowledge than of good test taking habits.

Step 1 is harder by far. Is the SAT as hard as the MCAT? It's a similar jump is standardized testing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone made a 45 on the MCAT in 2001. As far as I've heard a 273 is the highest reported USMLE.

I have no idea what that means about "which is harder."

i know that obviously they test different materials. I studied very hard for the mcat and still did average because verbal killed me...i realized that no matter how hard i tried, it'd still be next to impossible for me to get a 14V like some people can.

i'm going to trust everyone else that step I is harder, b/c i really have no idea (altho it makes sense) but I think i will score better on it than my MCAT. I haven't got my MCAT scores yet (i get them next week), but i bet got within the mid to high 20's, not stellar by any means. But its b/c i absolutely dreaded every second of that test and all of its content, except bio. i hate physics, i dont enjoy chemistry, and i dont enjoy organic chemistry. learning the material over again I wanted to shoot myself. It's going to be totally different for step 1. Its going to be on material that I enjoy, am interested in, and most importantly the information it directly applicable to my career as a physician (unlike 99% of the MCAT). Doing well on that test shows that I know my ****, and I am ready to take that next step and begin interacting with patients and other physicians. for that reason, I will be excessively motivated to study and do well, and for that reason I think i will do better. only time will tell tho

Does this really belong in the MCAT forum??? The majority of people in the MCAT forum haven't taken the MCAT never mind the Step 1? haha I think this would be best in a Med student or residency forum...

I think Step 1 is harder per se.

But, I think I would do better on it because of the subject matter. And yes, I have seen some study materials for Step 1 from a med student. So, I have some idea of what the test entails.

The MCAT seems to be more a reasoning test. Plus, it has Physics on it!!

I am not a great standardized testtaker so the reasoning ability on the MCAT is giving me the biggest problem.

Hopefully, one day I will get to take Step 1 and can really speak from experience.

this thread was originally in the allopathic forum b/c medstudents usually know the answer to this....since many have taken both mcat and step 1. i dont know why this was moved to the mcat forum. can someone move this back? i havent used sdn often so i dont really know how...thanx!:)

this thread was originally in the allopathic forum b/c medstudents usually know the answer to this....since many have taken both mcat and step 1. i dont know why this was moved to the mcat forum. can someone move this back? i havent used sdn often so i dont really know how...thanx!:)

It probably wont be moved back.The moderator moved it because this is a pre-med based issue. Thats just the way it goes unfortunately.

280, 286(rumor) and a rumor about some guy from India with 294

300 is unheard of.

Hello u guys....im really interested in becoming a dermatologist but i just started lookin into it n ill b a freshman at uhd but i been reading some of the comments and its a lot of things i dnt understand like when dey say the med school have a program like a 6yr program r sumthing idk so dey wont have to take the mcat could sumone explain dat 2 me...i know im clueless but can sumone please help me out????:(:confused::oops::)

Hello u guys....im really interested in becoming a dermatologist but i just started lookin into it n ill b a freshman at uhd but i been reading some of the comments and its a lot of things i dnt understand like when dey say the med school have a program like a 6yr program r sumthing idk so dey wont have to take the mcat could sumone explain dat 2 me...i know im clueless but can sumone please help me out????:(:confused::oops::)
Your post made me want to stab myself in the eyes:laugh:. Honestly, if you want to be taken seriously on a message board, one of the things you have to learn is to type complete sentences without using internet slang.:thumbdown:

But to answer your questions;
Certain schools have programs where when you apply for the undergraduate program, you're also applying for their medical program. The programs are combined into one complete package. There are also instances where some schools offer a joint program where you apply to undergraduate and as long as you meet the requirements for their medical school (Loyola has, I believe a 3.6 and 30 (10/10/10) min on MCAT) you are pretty much guaranteed admission to their program. Hope that answers your question.

But its b/c i absolutely dreaded every second of that test and all of its content, except bio. i hate physics, i dont enjoy chemistry, and i dont enjoy organic chemistry. learning the material over again I wanted to shoot myself. It's going to be totally different for step 1. Its going to be on material that I enjoy, am interested in, and most importantly the information it directly applicable to my career as a physician (unlike 99% of the MCAT).
Don't be so quick to assume that. A lot of the information on the mcat is testing your familiarity and understanding of the core principles of science - things you HAVE to have an understanding if you want to go to medical school. Despite how redundant and boring circuitry and electrochemistry is, the underlying themes and principles are very important and helpful down the line. If you talk with a doctor about it, despite how much they laugh and say how it sucked, if they think about it; will probably say and agree with the above. If anything, chemistry, organic chemistry and at least 50% of physics is fundamental for a lot of the things you will learn later in your career.

i'm going to trust everyone else that step I is harder, b/c i really have no idea (altho it makes sense) but I think i will score better on it than my MCAT. I haven't got my MCAT scores yet (i get them next week), but i bet got within the mid to high 20's, not stellar by any means. But its b/c i absolutely dreaded every second of that test and all of its content, except bio. i hate physics, i dont enjoy chemistry, and i dont enjoy organic chemistry. learning the material over again I wanted to shoot myself. It's going to be totally different for step 1. Its going to be on material that I enjoy, am interested in, and most importantly the information it directly applicable to my career as a physician (unlike 99% of the MCAT). Doing well on that test shows that I know my ****, and I am ready to take that next step and begin interacting with patients and other physicians. for that reason, I will be excessively motivated to study and do well, and for that reason I think i will do better. only time will tell tho

Well, apparently Step I correlates most strongly with the Bio section, so that seems totally doable. :thumbup:

Does this really belong in the MCAT forum??? The majority of people in the MCAT forum haven't taken the MCAT never mind the Step 1? haha I think this would be best in a Med student or residency forum...

It's here because we don't really care...

And the step is MUCH harder.