Is it helpful to do NIH IRTA program with low sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtobehopeful

Reaction score
Hello! Just seeking some advice about plans I should do for my gap year(s) to increase my chances for acceptance into medical school. So here’s the thing, I have a low science GPA (3.0-3.1, depending on MD/DO calculations) and have not taken my MCAT yet (I am a senior for reference). I know that GPA is abysmal for both MD and DO and I would need to do some remediation in my gap years to be competitive to programs. With that said, I am planning to take the MCAT in June 2021 and I’m aiming for a 518+. Additionally, I am applying to the NIH Postbac program and have heard back from a few labs so far about working as a IRTA fellow.

My plan is to spend 2 years at the NIH, gain some more clinical, research, and volunteer experience and apply for the 2022 cycle (at the end of my first year). By the time I would start, I would have the MCAT out of the way and just focus on research and improving my grades. I was thinking of taking either night classes or do online extensions (like Harvard or USD) as a DIY postbac while at the NIH. I heard the NIH has tuition reimbursement from other threads.

My question is, is it worth it for me to do the NIH postbacc if my grades are so low? Is it possible to balance clinical research with postbac classes? I’m thinking if I could raise my science GPA to >3.4 I’d be more competitive for MDs and much more for DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Your science GPA is lethal for MD schools. It might be good for DO, I am not too sure. You could look more into that. I would recommended trying a GPA repair rather than NIH, if an MD acceptance is your goal.