is it illegal to use paper to determine angles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAJackson16

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
some say you can, some say you cant.
what is the deal on this?
can you tear off the corner of a paper making a 90 degree angle
and place it next to the angles on the screen???

Members don't see this ad.

#1) Yes it is. I read it in the pack somewhere when I took it

#2) You don't have enough time to play games like this. Just practice and get good at it

BAJackson16 said:
some say you can, some say you cant.
what is the deal on this?
can you tear off the corner of a paper making a 90 degree angle
and place it next to the angles on the screen???

You cannot hold anything up to the screen (your fingers, etc.). With paper I am sure that the big concern is tracing. As Brocnizer2007 stated, you don't have time for this so don't build your strategy around methods, such as paper folding.

I'm just wondering where everyone is getting these rules from (e.g. holding fingers up to the screen). I've been searching everywhere on the Prometric web site with no luck. The only rules I've seen so far are on ADA's website, and there is no mention of this. Please help and clarify for me. Thanks.

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/regulations.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
heh good luck finishing if you try that :D

I would be willing to bet no on could (even by tracing) distinguish 4 angles that are each 1 degree apart any better than without tracing via paper. Now if you wore glasses and had a protractor built into the lens :D (like etched on the inside)

DrTacoElf said:
heh good luck finishing if you try that :D

I would be willing to bet no on could (even by tracing) distinguish 4 angles that are each 1 degree apart any better than without tracing via paper. Now if you wore glasses and had a protractor built into the lens :D (like etched on the inside)

hehe yeah a protractor is the only way..i'd say almost half of the angle section had some angles that were practically indistinguishable from each other..i really don't know anyone is able to score a 20+ on the PAT section..r they just good guessers? ;)

I thought the angles were the hardest questions on the PAT. I got 20 on the section.

For me, I did tear a corner from the scratch paper and held it next to the screen. Nobody stopped me, and I haven't heard anythings since. If it was illegal, someone would have warned.

In terms of time... if I used it for every angle question, then of course I will run out of time. However, I used it mainly for the angles that were very very close; so that was helpful.

By the way, the scratch paper are YELLOW. Yes, YELLOW. So, nothing on the screen is transparent through the paper, so what you have to do is to tear a small corner piece from the scratch, not a large one (a large one will simply block the two lines), but if you use a small paper, then, you can still see the two lines protruding out of the teared paper.
Maybe this doesn't make sense, but it is hard, since I'm trying to describe it, but try it. Try tearing small piece of corner paper no bigger than your pinky, then held it next to the angles, and make a mark on the paper. Then held it to the next angle and make another mark.

Now, testing sites may be different, so I can't promise you that your testing site will have the same monitoring policies as mine.

Good luck.

jk5177 said:
I thought the angles were the hardest questions on the PAT. I got 20 on the section.

For me, I did tear a corner from the scratch paper and held it next to the screen. Nobody stopped me, and I haven't heard anythings since. If it was illegal, someone would have warned.

In terms of time... if I used it for every angle question, then of course I will run out of time. However, I used it mainly for the angles that were very very close; so that was helpful.

By the way, the scratch paper are YELLOW. Yes, YELLOW. So, nothing on the screen is transparent through the paper, so what you have to do is to tear a small corner piece from the scratch, not a large one (a large one will simply block the two lines), but if you use a small paper, then, you can still see the two lines protruding out of the teared paper.
Maybe this doesn't make sense, but it is hard, since I'm trying to describe it, but try it. Try tearing small piece of corner paper no bigger than your pinky, then held it next to the angles, and make a mark on the paper. Then held it to the next angle and make another mark.

Now, testing sites may be different, so I can't promise you that your testing site will have the same monitoring policies as mine.

Good luck.

This is an awesome technique!!! I knew you couldn't see through the scratch paper well, so I thought it wouldn't be worthwhile to hold the paper up...but using a small piece is a very, very good idea...that is, IF you can touch the screen. FYI, my scratch paper was blue, so I think the color varies. I know one person that asked for white scratch paper and the test proctor provided white paper.

I have stated in the past that I touched the monitor myself (to even out the rays of the angles) and was not stopped. I just followed the rules on ada.org and was never told by a prometric proctor that I couldn't touch the screen.

A few folks in this forum say you can't touch the monitor, but I'm asking how it is you've come to this conclusion? I just want to know, so that I can tell the folks I'm tutoring the best information possible. I know for certain that some test centers/test proctors tell their test takers that they cannot touch the screen. It has always been a verbal message. I'm looking for a written one. Is there a rule that says you can't touch the monitor? Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks in advance,
HBomb.

Woah, jk5177

Did not know anything about tearing the corner of the paper. I am gonna use that technique.Seems to work .Any technique how to work on the paper folding jk5177

Thanks

Paper folding was straightforward for me so I didn't really need any techniques. I don't have any techniques for that sorry.

I think it depends on what center you take the test at. That is, holding items up to the screen is NOT allowed by testing regulations, but it seems some testing centers don't care.

I know that I was specifically told that I could NOT hold anything up to the screen, including my fingers.

ItsGavinC said:
I think it depends on what center you take the test at. That is, holding items up to the screen is NOT allowed by testing regulations, but it seems some testing centers don't care.

I know that I was specifically told that I could NOT hold anything up to the screen, including my fingers.

This is exactly what I'm saying...the test proctor only tells you verbally. There is no written rule!!!

as an alternative to holding something up to the screen, a good strategy that works for me is to think of the angles as hands on a clock face. It seems to work pretty well for me, but youve just gotta find your own way to look at it.