Is it improper to call schools if you havent heard anything yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superluminal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct method to try to contact schools Dec 1st if you havent heard anything?
No calls, no emails, no snail mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you an applicant to die for?

Reactions: 1 user
My avatar seems to think so.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also like to hear back on this. I'm assuming all Dec. 1rst applications have already gone out. Would it be appropriate to contact schools we are still interested in?

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools hate it when you pester them and then there are schools like NYU that feed off your begging/pleading phone calls. I remembered having to do this with NYU, in which they literally tally every time you call. Apparently the more calls the better? What kind of child's play is that?

I've been grappling with this a lot too and decided to send an email to the school I care about most, that way you're not pestering them on the phone every day but they still have information that may encourage them to reply sooner or "tip the scale in your favor" so to speak.

What exactly do you say? Did you just ask if a decision has been made on your application? I'm in the same boat, but I'm hesitant because I feel the obvious answer is, "No, of course no decision is made you would be notified if a decision was made"

What exactly do you say? Did you just ask if a decision has been made on your application? I'm in the same boat, but I'm hesitant because I feel the obvious answer is, "No, of course no decision is made you would be notified if a decision was made"
I only wrote the email to my #1 school since if I got in there, I would put down a deposit right away. And I made it known to them how i felt during my interview, why i would be a good fit for their program, what i can contribute to their school and addressed common reasons why people don't attend the school (finances, far from home) things that won't affect me and i didn't say outright during my interview. it's basically a letter of intent though so if you do get in, you better go there or else that's just messed up

Don't listen to toothache that's a pretty ridiculous response, of course no school is dying over any applicant. We've waited all this time, we have the right to know what the schools decision on our application is. I think it's okay to call to find out your application status, besides that don't pester too much.

I would not contact the schools this week. Many are still sending out decisions. If you really wanted to contact them, I would do that at the end of next week to express interest and hope for a 2016 interview. Now, I say this with caution depending on what your app looks like. I would also verify your status on the Moble app because many reported information there that was not online. If you have a 2.0 GPA and a 14 AA, I wouldn't bother calling :).

I'm no expert, but my suggestion would be to remain calm and continue as if nothing happened on December 1st.

The first day of acceptances is, in a logistical sense, pretty similar to the first round of interviews. Just because you don't get an interview the first day does not mean that you won't get one later in the cycle. The schools are going for the low hanging fruit right now (the students with exceptional scores, interviews, and applications). Most of those students will receive multiple offers, and they will subsequently turn them down. The top students can still only go to one school, so there will be a lot of movement on this first batch of acceptances. As the cycle progresses and schools are competing less for applicants who have subsequently fewer acceptances, only then will there be less movement, but that won't be until fairly late in the cycle.

If you didn't call schools because you did not receive a first round interview, then I would suggest that you also not call them because you did not get a first round acceptance. Any school which plays games (as a previous poster accused NYU of doing) may be a school you would want to reconsider anyway (IF that is true)...

I am still waiting to hear back from five schools I interviewed at, so believe me, I am also feeling that psychological itch to call them all and find out what's going on. But, I know that if I was their top pick, they would have been sure to contact me on December 1st. I also know that if I was their top pick, I would have been invited to their first interview dates, but I was not... The school I have an acceptance to is a school which invited me to their first round of interviews, so it makes sense that I would be more likely to get an acceptance there on December 1st.

The system mostly works quite well, and if you had multiple interviews (4+), it is extremely unlikely that you won't get in somewhere this cycle. @HookahLungs I don't know if we met on the interview circuit, but I wish you the best of luck. I saw your posts last year and am really hoping that you get in somewhere this time around!

One last word, at this point in the cycle, schools are trying to determine the disposition of your application. Whether you get a first round acceptance has less to do with your interview skills and more to do with your entire application (grades, ECs, DAT, research, etc.). Don't beat yourselves up just because you thought you nailed the interview and didn't get in somewhere this early!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Very inspiring quotes everyone. Just wanted your opinions, what about for those who have not even received an interview from the school...should we continue to wait? Or contact the school to ask about our status/application?

Reactions: 2 users
Very inspiring quotes everyone. Just wanted your opinions, what about for those who have not even received an interview from the school...should we continue to wait? Or contact the school to ask about our status/application?

I would like to know this too. And if I haven't received a supplemental from some of the school I've applied to, do I still have a chance?

Same here!