Is it insanely hard to get into BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

On the BU secondary, it says that the average GPA for accepted students is 3.7 and average MCAT approx. 11 in each section. This seems super high to me. I was under the impression that BUs stats were not that high... I mean those stats are comparable to those of top 10 med schools...
 
beponychick said:
Hi guys,

On the BU secondary, it says that the average GPA for accepted students is 3.7 and average MCAT approx. 11 in each section. This seems super high to me. I was under the impression that BUs stats were not that high... I mean those stats are comparable to those of top 10 med schools...

argh...every school is ridiculously hard to get into...craaaaaappppp shoooooooooooot....
 
JayQuah said:
argh...every school is ridiculously hard to get into...craaaaaappppp shoooooooooooot....


Right, i was just under the impression that their numbers were not THAT high... I was thinking more comparable to U. Rochester (3.5 average) or Drexel.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The 2006-2007 MSAR says median mcat is 32 and gpa is 3.66. If your mcat is 1 or 2 points below that you still gotta roll the dice and see what happens... that's what i'm doing 🙂
 
willthatsall said:
Not to mention BU gets a TON of applications.
this is a very important fact. i think it's one of the most applied-to schools in the country. and it had the distinct honor of being the first school to reject me. at least they're prompt. (stats below)
 
beponychick said:
Hi guys,

On the BU secondary, it says that the average GPA for accepted students is 3.7 and average MCAT approx. 11 in each section. This seems super high to me. I was under the impression that BUs stats were not that high... I mean those stats are comparable to those of top 10 med schools...


keep in mind bu get's a big chunk of its med school class from their 8yr and 7yr programs with the undergrad colleges... plus they unofficially save spots for students in the medical science master's program.
 
beponychick said:
Hi guys,

On the BU secondary, it says that the average GPA for accepted students is 3.7 and average MCAT approx. 11 in each section. This seems super high to me. I was under the impression that BUs stats were not that high... I mean those stats are comparable to those of top 10 med schools...

For this reason and the others listed by our fellow pre-meders, I'm seriously thinking about not sending in my secondary to BU. It's just way too expensive, I probably won't get in, and it isn't too high on my list of schools I want to attend. I mean, why don't I just take $100 and burn it?
 
silas2642 said:
For this reason and the others listed by our fellow pre-meders, I'm seriously thinking about not sending in my secondary to BU. It's just way too expensive, I probably won't get in, and it isn't too high on my list of schools I want to attend. I mean, why don't I just take $100 and burn it?


Yeah, I actually decided to do the same. I like the school, but my numbers are no where near their averages, so I rather save myself another rejection. I was kind of surprised that their numbers are way up there since I havent really heard people raving about their reputation and such, but I can understand how they can be super selective when they have an insane amount of aps.
 
urg... I'm not sending mine in either. And that professionalism essay thing really annoyed me.

Gosh, I don't know if I'm ready to get my ego stomped by this whole process.
 
SeattlePostBach said:
urg... I'm not sending mine in either. And that professionalism essay thing really annoyed me.

Gosh, I don't know if I'm ready to get my ego stomped by this whole process.

Haha, I'm glad to see that a lot of people feel the same way about BU as I do after seeing the secondary. So much work and so expensive. I'm probably going to apply because I'm a MA resident, but it was definately the BU secondary that made me go from excited about receiving secondaries to depressed 🙁 .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BU's biggest problems are its costs. tuition, app fee, and even acceptance fee ($500!) which is non-refundable according to MSAR.

i wonder what kind of aid packages are available for our med students...
 
jintonic5 said:
keep in mind bu get's a big chunk of its med school class from their 8yr and 7yr programs with the undergrad colleges... plus they unofficially save spots for students in the medical science master's program.

From the BU web site:
The 155 students in the entering class of 2004 are drawn from the following subgroups:

109
-4-yr MD
9
-MD-PhD
11
-Early Medical School Selection Program (EMSSP)
13
-7-yr BA-MD Program
10
-Modular Medical Integrated Curriculum (MMEDIC)
3
-Engineering/Medical Integrated Curriculum (ENGMEDIC)
 
How would everyone compare BU with Tufts....if you had to choose which to apply to?
 
jrdnbenjamin said:
From the BU web site:
The 155 students in the entering class of 2004 are drawn from the following subgroups:

109
-4-yr MD
9
-MD-PhD
11
-Early Medical School Selection Program (EMSSP)
13
-7-yr BA-MD Program
10
-Modular Medical Integrated Curriculum (MMEDIC)
3
-Engineering/Medical Integrated Curriculum (ENGMEDIC)

they don't include it in the official stats, but people in the bu medical sciences master's program apparently takes up a good chunk of the 4-yr MD category. i want to say ~20 spots, but i could just be pulling poop from my pooper.
 
i know each year it's 20+ (up to 30) depending on the caliber of the program... which is dropping.

but if you're in the top 20% you have a much better chance of getting in than the general public. (2nd years get pref. over 1st tho)


haha didnt i say i had a thesis? someone ban me for like a week plz.