Is it more worthwhile to attend a GPR that is heavily concentrated in implants or take CE courses as a general dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UConnDoIt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious what your take is on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Both, but the GPR doesn't necessarily need to be heavy on implants as long as you have other surgical exposures such as lots of surgical extractions.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't have much experience myself but one of the big things hammered home in me by a lot of my mentors is you need to learn to walk before you can run.

Implants can be great but as a GP you need to be good at bread and butter. Class 2s, crowns, dentures, basic pedo, etc need to be quick and efficient. Then knowing how to extract every tooth in the mouth will build your surgical skills. Then move on to implants. In a 1 year GPR you will not become an implant master. You will not really place that many honestly even in the best programs. CE is a must.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take CE courses. As stated above, implants are the icing on top but you gotta be able to do all the other productive procedures fast as well. Placing a titanium "screw"/implant fixture in a healthy individual with tons of bone is not difficult. I'd recommend just keeping it simple to maximize profitability and reduce liability with implants. If they need ridge splits, lateral window, or in poor health, diabetes, smokers, etc... you'll probably be better off doing other more profitable procedures than having to deal with non-productive complications.

Reactions: 2 users
Truth from all 3. If you are not good at bread and butter dentistry your patients will find someone who is. But if you can get training with difficult implants and they become predictable then do it.

Dentistry is already unpredictable. You think you are doing a class 1 and it turns into a 4 surface build up. Things always has some sort of small hiccup that cuts time out of your schedule. Predictability in the majority of things you will be doing is key. Unless you decide to work for a denture and implant mill focus on the bread and butter procedures mentioned in the first response - the only thing I would add is anterior and posterior endo (mandibular molars only) and maybe Invisalign.

Truth from all 3. If you are not good at bread and butter dentistry your patients will find someone who is. But if you can get training with difficult implants and they become predictable then do it.

Dentistry is already unpredictable. You think you are doing a class 1 and it turns into a 4 surface build up. Things always has some sort of small hiccup that cuts time out of your schedule. Predictability in the majority of things you will be doing is key. Unless you decide to work for a denture and implant mill focus on the bread and butter procedures mentioned in the first response - the only thing I would add is anterior and posterior endo (mandibular molars only) and maybe Invisalign.

Why not max molars? A lot of 2,3,14,15s need RCTBUCrns

Why not max molars? A lot of 2,3,14,15s need RCTBUCrns
probably those MB2 and upper molar RCT is more curvy. but to be honest as long as I can see the canals clearly on xray it is a good to go for me. some mandibular molar with deep split canals or fuse canal at apical third is pretty tough as well.

Reactions: 1 users
finding MB2 without an Endo scope. Any tips?

"Read" the pulpal floor map/outline, don't be afraid to unroof the area mesial and lingual. DG16 endo explorer helps you tactilely detect the orifice leading to MB2. If MB is very wide in a buccolingual direction (as big as a palatal canal), many times, MB2 is not there or joins with MB. Look for hyperemic areas or oddly calcified areas in the area mesial/lingual to the MB canal. Other things would be to look for hypochlorite reactions around that area (bubbling). If you have an area that sticks with the endo explorer, instrument it. Sometimes, you'll find an MB3 or DB2. One way to look at MB2 is to think of it like a maxillary premolar with 2 canals. If your MB is far too buccal, usually, MB2 is present.

I find that I can find MB2 mostly by tactile sensation. Use a non-end cutting endoZ bur. Lateral sweeps get rid of that dentin that hides MB2 a lot.

"Read" the pulpal floor map/outline, don't be afraid to unroof the area mesial and lingual. DG16 endo explorer helps you tactilely detect the orifice leading to MB2. If MB is very wide in a buccolingual direction (as big as a palatal canal), many times, MB2 is not there or joins with MB. Look for hyperemic areas or oddly calcified areas in the area mesial/lingual to the MB canal. Other things would be to look for hypochlorite reactions around that area (bubbling). If you have an area that sticks with the endo explorer, instrument it. Sometimes, you'll find an MB3 or DB2. One way to look at MB2 is to think of it like a maxillary premolar with 2 canals. If your MB is far too buccal, usually, MB2 is present.

I find that I can find MB2 mostly by tactile sensation. Use a non-end cutting endoZ bur. Lateral sweeps get rid of that dentin that hides MB2 a lot.

What system do you use for instrumentation?

What system do you use for instrumentation?
WaveOne Gold. Edge endo is cheaper but less forgiving and not as aggressive in cutting.

Edit: When minutes count, saving some money on instrumentation isn't worth being able to do another procedure given the time savings. Dentist time should be valued at least 40-50 dollars a minute.

Geez. Soo how much do you charge for a 2 surface filling then and how fast can you do it? lol
WaveOne Gold. Edge endo is cheaper but less forgiving and not as aggressive in cutting.

Edit: When minutes count, saving some money on instrumentation isn't worth being able to do another procedure given the time savings. Dentist time should be valued at least 40-50 dollars a minute