Is it necessary to enter medicine to open a tech business for medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceTrainerGreen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm unsure if I should even post in this forum because it's regarding business and engineering.

Anyways, I'm in second year college currently taking the pre-reqs for med school. I've been really wanting to open my own biomedical technology business regarding medicine.

Due to my own personal ambitions, I thought that entering medical school would be a good idea, so I can have the background to know what I'm doing.

And then I thought about it and realized that if I were to get into medical school and become a doctor, how am I going to find the time to actually open my business? I could actually use those 8+ years to set up my business.

I've also thought about majoring in biomedical engineering because it matches the field that I want, but I'm unsure about it because engineering generally has one of the lowest GPAs. Additionally, I've heard that majoring in electrical or mechanical would be better because it's far more versatile. I've also heard that biomedical engineering isn't really preferred because they're really just a jack of trades for biology, medicine, and engineering and as a consequence wouldn't really be able to do much.

I hope this makes sense.Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was a ChE and I'd say that's an engineering discipline that is really far off from applicability in med school (though it helps with the PhD in my case). It's fine to get a "lower" GPA as an engineer but try to stay within the 3.7 range (or higher). Coupled with a high MCAT, appropriate ECs, and research - you should be fine when applying.

If you're interested in starting a biotech company, a PhD in BME would be very useful (I have some friends that are doing this). If you have time get involved in engineering/tech consulting - you'll make a ton of contacts which will help getting a business of the ground.

Members don't see this ad :)
lots of people with basic science or bioE backgrounds do well in this arena

There are some really great MBA/MD combined programs that you can apply to directly through AMCAS or just join once you are in medical school. The question is, will the MD help you at all in your future career? If you are contemplating a career of an MBA/MD type, I'd snoop around on this site : http://www.mdmbas.com/ - It has really great info as well as some "Career Profiles" that talk about different routes people like you who have gone this route took after getting their MD/MBA.

If I were you, I would highly consider what you would do with the MD if you got it. You say you want to open a tech business, could you just get an undergrad engineering degree, an MBA, and do just that? Do you need to learn about medicines, organ systems, and protein cascades to do what you want to do? Really think about these things, because the pursuit of an MD, although rewarding for those who want that knowledge, could be a heavy investment for someone who isn't really looking to apply that degree.

Anyway, something to think about. Good luck OP!