Is it necessary to explain W from transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lxh0131

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In one of my supplemental questions it allows me to explain any academic difficulties. I honestly thought that W did not matter much when I was in my undergrad and never thought twice about them. I didn't think I would have to explain them especially since it doesn't calculate into my GPA. So how should I go about explaining this.. That I was a ill-informed ungrad that didnt know this would hurt me in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

if you dropped the course because of how difficult it was, then yeah you might need to explain. but if you were sick or had family emergencies and you had to drop it, then they would expect you to retake it some other time. did you ever retake the course you dropped?

if you dropped the course because of how difficult it was, then yeah you might need to explain. but if you were sick or had family emergencies and you had to drop it, then they would expect you to retake it some other time. did you ever retake the course you dropped?

Yes, I did retake one of the courses.. the other was weight training and I just decided the class was not for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I did retake one of the courses.. the other was weight training and I just decided the class was not for me.

if it's something like physical activity where you just show up and participate, then why not retake it and get credit instead of leaving it as a W?

I had 2 classes I dropped because the teachers sucked and were uncooperative...would I need to explain those?

when admission looks at your transcript, all they see is that you dropped two courses. they don't know why you dropped them. if you don't retake them, then admissions is going to think that you thought those courses were too hard and gave up, or just forgot about them because you didn't care. have you considered trying to get different professors for those courses and retaking them? if you still haven't retaken them, and you are going to be sending a transcript with the two W's on there, then yeah you might have to explain why you still haven't retaken them for a grade. if you can retake them in the fall, or even in the spring, then i would recommend doing so, since W's on transcripts don't looks so great.

if it's something like physical activity where you just show up and participate, then why not retake it and get credit instead of leaving it as a W?

when admission looks at your transcript, all they see is that you dropped two courses. they don't know why you dropped them. if you don't retake them, then admissions is going to think that you thought those courses were too hard and gave up, or just forgot about them because you didn't care. have you considered trying to get different professors for those courses and retaking them? if you still haven't retaken them, and you are going to be sending a transcript with the two W's on there, then yeah you might have to explain why you still haven't retaken them for a grade. if you can retake them in the fall, or even in the spring, then i would recommend doing so, since W's on transcripts don't looks so great.

I probably should have added that I already retook the classes. I have a question. I am looking to apply to Pharm school next year, however, after I complete this upcoming semester I will have Organic Chem II, Calculus and Physics left to complete. With these 3 pre-reqs left is that enough to get admitted?

if you take organic chem II, calculus, and physics in the spring semester, and you list that in your application, then yeah you can get admitted. they'll just say that your acceptance depends on the successful completion of those three courses. if you decide to take one or two of them during the summer, then you could. but that depends on the school. my school required a summer transcript by july 15th, so i needed to pick a summer session that was done in the first week of july.

when i got admitted, i still needed to take speech (which i was taking in the spring) and microbio (which i took this summer). so don't worry about pre-reqs as long as you can finish them before you start pharmacy school, and if they see that you can't, you wouldn't be admitted.

if you take organic chem II, calculus, and physics in the spring semester, and you list that in your application, then yeah you can get admitted. they'll just say that your acceptance depends on the successful completion of those three courses. if you decide to take one or two of them during the summer, then you could. but that depends on the school. my school required a summer transcript by july 15th, so i needed to pick a summer session that was done in the first week of july.

when i got admitted, i still needed to take speech (which i was taking in the spring) and microbio (which i took this summer). so don't worry about pre-reqs as long as you can finish them before you start pharmacy school, and if they see that you can't, you wouldn't be admitted.

Ok. I also found out that they messed up the pre-pharm curriculum at my CC. Back in 07 I took Principles of Bio and now when I check the new curriculum it states that I needed Gen. Bio instead. I asked my advisor about that and she said that they would have to forward a letter to my intended choices to notify them that this was a fault of theirs (my CC) and not mine since I followed the then curriculum....Have you ever heard of this before and if it is acceptable?

as long as you meet all of the pre-pharmacy requirements for pharmacy schools, it doesn't matter if your school changes the pre-pharmacy curriculum. the pre-pharmacy curriculum at your school is probably just general requirements that your college thinks you need before starting pharmacy school. the exact pre-requisites differ from school to school, so you still have to check to see if the courses you have taken previously will be accepted by the pharmacy schools you're applying to.

if you haven't taken upper level bio courses, then you might need to take general bio. but check with the pharmacy schools you're applying to, in order to see which bio course is acceptable.

as long as you meet all of the pre-pharmacy requirements for pharmacy schools, it doesn't matter if your school changes the pre-pharmacy curriculum. the pre-pharmacy curriculum at your school is probably just general requirements that your college thinks you need before starting pharmacy school. the exact pre-requisites differ from school to school, so you still have to check to see if the courses you have taken previously will be accepted by the pharmacy schools you're applying to.

if you haven't taken upper level bio courses, then you might need to take general bio. but check with the pharmacy schools you're applying to, in order to see which bio course is acceptable.

Ok...Well I am taking Microbiology this coming semester....Does this constitutes as being an upper level bio course?

Ok...Well I am taking Microbiology this coming semester....Does this constitutes as being an upper level bio course?

yeah, since intro level bio courses are usually pre-requisites to taking microbio.

yeah. i'm starting in one week. i think i'm ready for it though.