Is it OK to have two masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if having 2 Masters degrees would raise some red flags? I already have a Masters in Bacteriology. My grad GPA is 3.2. That's why I was thinking of starting another MS program. Thanks for your help:)

Members don't see this ad.

You have to look yourself in the mirror and decide if a second masters is worth it to you. If you have already completed one and were unsuccessful in gaining admission to DS, I think it may be a wiser decision to focus on other areas of your application, both in terms of saving a lot of money and in making yourself a more well-rounded applicant.

Before you start another Master, you should call 1 or 2+ schools to see what they want from you.

What are your ECs? undergrad GPA? DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
considering that you have a 3.2 masters gpa...i mean..yeah

you want to enroll in a masters prog to boost your gpa.

if you really, really REALLY want to dentistry i say go for it...but if you don't get at least a 3.5...then i don't know what to tell ya bud.

Perhaps try an MPH this time around? Something like epidemiology or something?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if having 2 Masters degrees would raise some red flags? I already have a Masters in Bacteriology. My grad GPA is 3.2. That's why I was thinking of starting another MS program. Thanks for your help:)

3.2 for MS program is very low when you are trying to improve your GPA.

Before you start another Master, you should call 1 or 2+ schools to see what they want from you.

What are your ECs? undergrad GPA? DAT?

EC: about 40 hours of shadowing dentists, 42 hours hospital volunteering, lots of undergrad research experience and one undergrad internship at Mayo.

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 Biology/ Biomedical Science ( B.S.)

Grad GPA: 3.2 Bacteriology non- thesis ( M.S.)

DAT : AA 19 TS 19 PAT 17

I know I have to take the DAT again.

What would you suggest i should do?

To be honest Tonya, i don't think that a second MS will do you a whole lot of good. The thing is, you already have 150+ credits under your belt of 3.2.... That will be difficult to bump up. Even if you 4.0 another 30 credit masters, it will only bump you up to like a 3.3. That boost of .1 to your GPA, wont really do a whole lot of good to your application. However, if you were to boost your DAT to a 22+ that could make things happen for you.

So i think there are 3 options:

1. Study your face off as long as it takes and kill the DAT. Will your extensive science background, i imagine that you will be able to destroy the natural sciences. And even if you do kill the DAT, you will need to apply to like 20 schools to increase your chances.

2. If you are hell bent on a second masters to boost your application, i would definitely do an MPH or MBA. You need to have something to fall back on just in case you don't get in. Not to mention these programs are usually 45-60 credits which will do more a dent in your GPA. Your sGPA will remain the same, but you may boost your oGPA to 3.4ish. I think with an MBA coupled with your MS in Bacteriology, there might be some nitch markets for you at biotech, pharmaceutical, or research firms.

3. You may want to consider other professions. Have you considered pharmacy, optometry, or podiatry. Each of these fields are much less competitive and you can still have a respectable profession while making a good living and helping people. Maybe you could even shoot for a PhD and go into research or academics.

Best of luck with your decision!! :D

To be honest Tonya, i don't think that a second MS will do you a whole lot of good. The thing is, you already have 150+ credits under your belt of 3.2.... That will be difficult to bump up. Even if you 4.0 another 30 credit masters, it will only bump you up to like a 3.3. That boost of .1 to your GPA, wont really do a whole lot of good to your application. However, if you were to boost your DAT to a 22+ that could make things happen for you.

So i think there are 3 options:

1. Study your face off as long as it takes and kill the DAT. Will your extensive science background, i imagine that you will be able to destroy the natural sciences. And even if you do kill the DAT, you will need to apply to like 20 schools to increase your chances.

2. If you are hell bent on a second masters to boost your application, i would definitely do an MPH or MBA. You need to have something to fall back on just in case you don't get in. Not to mention these programs are usually 45-60 credits which will do more a dent in your GPA. Your sGPA will remain the same, but you may boost your oGPA to 3.4ish. I think with an MBA coupled with your MS in Bacteriology, there might be some nitch markets for you at biotech, pharmaceutical, or research firms.

3. You may want to consider other professions. Have you considered pharmacy, optometry, or podiatry. Each of these fields are much less competitive and you can still have a respectable profession while making a good living and helping people. Maybe you could even shoot for a PhD and go into research or academics.

Best of luck with your decision!! :D

Thank you so much :) I will try to kill the DAT. MPH is a good back up plan.