Is it ok to tell schools about other interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this awkward or do schools understand and expect that students will have multiple interviews? I need to warn a school that I have an interview scheduled for a certain date and not to schedule my interview over that. I feel giving them the courtesy of a forwarding is better than having to reschedule.

Members don't see this ad.

You could always just tell them that you'll be unavailable on certain dates. No need to tell them that you have interviews other places. Obviously they know, but I wouldn't bring it up unless specifically asked.

You could always just tell them that you'll be unavailable on certain dates. No need to tell them that you have interviews other places. Obviously they know, but I wouldn't bring it up unless specifically asked.

Hmm something makes me feel better psychologically to give a reason. I was once told to let employers know about other job offers because it makes you seem more desirable. Think it doesn't work this way for med school?

What if I just said I would be traveling on X date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm something makes me feel better psychologically to give a reason. I was once told to let employers know about other job offers because it makes you seem more desirable. Think it doesn't work this way for med school?

What if I just said I would be traveling on X date?

Letting employers know about other job offers is often true, but it's not universal advice. It depends on your situation and the timing of everything.

You don't need to give a reason. Just say you can't interview that date. Exactly no one will care if you do that, but if you get caught in an awkward lie, even a small one, that's worse. Learning to politely decline requests without feeling you have to make excuses for yourself is a good life skill.

Letting employers know about other job offers is often true, but it's not universal advice. It depends on your situation and the timing of everything.

You don't need to give a reason. Just say you can't interview that date. Exactly no one will care if you do that, but if you get caught in an awkward lie, even a small one, that's worse. Learning to politely decline requests without feeling you have to make excuses for yourself is a good life skill.

To be clear...I wasn't proposing a lie. I was simply curious how much detail to disclose. Thanks for the advice though. :thumbup:

Only a couple schools explicitly asked me during last cycle. I made sure to always understate the # of other interviews I had and to make that school seem like a top school of the lot, yet with one "better" school so they'd know I was being shown interests by other competitive schools.

Only a couple schools explicitly asked me during last cycle. I made sure to always understate the # of other interviews I had and to make that school seem like a top school of the lot, yet with one "better" school so they'd know I was being shown interests by other competitive schools.

Are you saying you lied about it? (I don't mean to ask that in a how could you way, I am asking in a genuine interest to see how that worked out for you)

Are you saying you lied about it? (I don't mean to ask that in a how could you way, I am asking in a genuine interest to see how that worked out for you)

I never stated any schools which I did not in fact have an interview at. Never lie during interviews. That can only come back to hurt you.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

I never stated any schools which I did not in fact have an interview at. Never lie during interviews. That can only come back to hurt you.

I wasn't planning on it, I was just curious to see if you had. Being that by telling every school there is one above them, that has to stop at some point....

I wasn't planning on it, I was just curious to see if you had. Being that by telling every school there is one above them, that has to stop at some point....

Not all schools asked. I think 2 of my 6 schools asked. No lying required or wanted.