Is it OK to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

28_Days_Later

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
....get a LOR from a professor you did poorly and well with?

For instance, I received a C+ in Human Genetics and A- in Genetics lab with this same professor.

I felt I got to know him pretty well in Genetics lab, since the lab setting allows close interaction with professor and student. He knows me better than most non-lab professors and thus would be a good candidate to choose for a LOR. I'm not too sure I would want him to write me one as that C+ may hurt the quality of my letter. :eek:

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

you might want to consider the fact that he will most definitely put your grades on that rec letter per standard procedure.

Just ask him if he thinks he can write you a good LOR. Voice your concern about the C+. Most professors will honestly tell you if they can't write you a good letter if you ask them. If he says that he can't, just say thank you very much and find someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to the professor. Ask him if he would feel comfortable writing a letter for you or if your previous grade would effect the type of recommendation he could give you. Your grades do not need to be mentioned in the letter. The letter may simply state "28 days later has been a student in several of my classes and I have come to know him/her well." The professor will then detail why you are an excellent candidate for medical school.

Most adcom and interviewers would rather read a letter from a professor who obviously knows the student well than one who can only say you got an 'A' in their class.

How about, the professor mention both- the lecture and the lab grades and then make a point that you've honed your study skills in the time between the two classes and therefore the better performance?

I would absolutely not get a letter from a professor if you got a C+ in the class. I would think A- would be the minimum grade necessary to ask for a letter.

I think it's all about the class and the professor. I know someone who busted their butt in pchem and got a C... the prof wrote him a glowing LOR.

Thanks for the replies, guys :p

diosa428 said:
Voice your concern about the C+.

beanbean said:
Ask him if he would feel comfortable writing a letter for you or if your previous grade would effect the type of recommendation he could give you.

That sounds like a really good idea! When I speak to him about the LOR I will ask him if the C+ will affect the letter adversely.

tik-tik-clock said:
How about, the professor mention both- the lecture and the lab grades and then make a point that you've honed your study skills in the time between the two classes and therefore the better performance?

I don't know if you've taken a lab class before, but both classes are quite different. You have your "lecture" type classes and your "lab" type classes. In my case, I had Human genetics which was the typical lecture type class where study skills matter. Here is where those skills like taking good notes, manage your time, etc. matter. This contrasts with Genetics lab (a lab type class) where your grade is based predominantly on the "hands on" type of thing (running electophoretic gels, operating microscopes, dissecting tiny larvae, etc.) and studying/learning concepts is de-emphasized. Because the course de-emphasizes studying and focuses principally on lab techniques, I don't think the professor could speak of study skill "improvement" in the letter. So what are your thoughts on this?

SanDiegoSOD said:
I would absolutely not get a letter from a professor if you got a C+ in the class. I would think A- would be the minimum grade necessary to ask for a letter.

Well, I was at a LOR seminar hosting several professors, and one professor actually mentioned that the biggest mistake students make was that they avoid getting letters from professors they received "B"s from. He stated that professors are willing to write good letters for "B" students. Furthermore, he acknowledged that in many cases his "B" students actually got more out of his biochemistry class than his "A" students.

I think this is true. Sometimes I feel like I got more and understood more out of some "B" classes than I did in some "A" classes. Just think about all those "A" students who just memorize everything and regurgitate after the final. Do you think they've got more out of the class than the "B" student who is actually interested in the material and thus understands it better, but doesn't test well? I've actually heard of accounts (from professors) where students understand the material very well, but they couldn't get the "A" because they are not good at multiple choice exams. So, in some cases "B" students are more deserving of a good letter than an "A" student. I don't think "A-" is the cut off. I'm interested to know what you think about this.

28_Days_Later said:
Thanks for the replies, guys :p

That sounds like a really good idea! When I speak to him about the LOR I will ask him if the C+ will affect the letter adversely.

I don't know if you've taken a lab class before, but both classes are quite different. You have your "lecture" type classes and your "lab" type classes. In my case, I had Human genetics which was the typical lecture type class where study skills matter. Here is where those skills like taking good notes, manage your time, etc. matter. This contrasts with Genetics lab (a lab type class) where your grade is based predominantly on the "hands on" type of thing (running electophoretic gels, operating microscopes, dissecting tiny larvae, etc.) and studying/learning concepts is de-emphasized. Because the course de-emphasizes studying and focuses principally on lab techniques, I don't think the professor could speak of study skill "improvement" in the letter. So what are your thoughts on this?

Well, I was at a LOR seminar hosting several professors, and one professor actually mentioned that the biggest mistake students make was that they avoid getting letters from professors they received "B"s from. He stated that professors are willing to write good letters for "B" students. Furthermore, he acknowledged that in many cases his "B" students actually got more out of his biochemistry class than his "A" students.

I think this is true. Sometimes I feel like I got more and understood more out of some "B" classes than I did in some "A" classes. Just think about all those "A" students who just memorize everything and regurgitate after the final. Do you think they've got more out of the class than the "B" student who is actually interested in the material and thus understands it better, but doesn't test well? I've actually heard of accounts (from professors) where students understand the material very well, but they couldn't get the "A" because they are not good at multiple choice exams. So, in some cases "B" students are more deserving of a good letter than an "A" student. I don't think "A-" is the cut off. I'm interested to know what you think about this.

unfortunately most exams in medical school are multiple choice. as are the boards...