Is it or Isn't it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consigliere

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
It's almost enough to get an atheist to believe.

Reactions: 3 users
Los Angeles resident Paula Kane went to the Smile Implant Center in Newport Beach for dental implants after seeing a newspaper advertisement in January 2010. When she entered the facility around 9:30 a.m., anesthesiologist Dr. Barry Friedberg administered her drugs while she stayed awake--Kane's anesthesia of choice for the procedure known as "oral conscious sedation." Hours later, she went into respiratory arrest; her blood turned dark, according to one of the dental assistants present; a deadly combination of propofol--the same drug that killed Michael Jackson--along with benzodiazepines had shut down Kane's respiratory system. When she was taken to the hospital, doctors diagnosed her as brain dead. A few days later, her daughter, Tanisha Mitchell, took the 57-year-old off life support.

This is more evidence that Friedberg was and is too flippant about inserting an airway such as an LMA when using his Ketafol. I actually enjoyed his posts and began using Ketamine/Propofol quite frequently a few years back as a result of his posts. Where we disagreed was over the insertion of an LMA or ETT for many "deep sedation" cases that Barry felt simply warranted a nasal cannula. He also used the BIS too much for my tastes but I suspect secondary gain for much of his BIS propaganda.

Reactions: 1 user
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/anesthesia-for-cosmetic-surgery.472434/#post-5906470

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kanye-wests-moms-death-d-t-anesthesia.470270/

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
-- Aristotle

I am only an email or phone call (web site contact) away for those desiring support in the pursuit of better outcomes.

Barry Friedberg

What a clown-who buys this load of crap???

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/anesthesia-for-cosmetic-surgery.472434/#post-5906470

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kanye-wests-moms-death-d-t-anesthesia.470270/

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
-- Aristotle

I am only an email or phone call (web site contact) away for those desiring support in the pursuit of better outcomes.

Barry Friedberg

I just read the first thread -- very interesting. Why was aghast1 banned? I thought his ideas (based on this post) were pretty good and sound. I like them. No opioids. clonidine presedation. Titrate propofol to BIS and keep the patient breathing - then use some ketamine for analgesia and he says disassociation. Pretty nifty idea.

In fact, he probably was a victim of his huge success. He was so good at titrating - keeping the patient spontaneously breathing, etc - that when he had a problem, he probably couldn't get himself to believe it. 15 years of doing the same thing, getting excellent results - it would be hard to then accept that this one single patient stopped breathing and was having trouble.

This is more evidence that Friedberg was and is too flippant about inserting an airway such as an LMA when using his Ketafol. I actually enjoyed his posts and began using Ketamine/Propofol quite frequently a few years back as a result of his posts. Where we disagreed was over the insertion of an LMA or ETT for many "deep sedation" cases that Barry felt simply warranted a nasal cannula. He also used the BIS too much for my tastes but I suspect secondary gain for much of his BIS propaganda.

It is interesting to note that had starts out the conversation talking about some avoidable deaths that really got him thinking and starting to do his "method".....full circle.

Also, very interesting to me that he wanted to avoid LMA so he didn't have to call it general anesthesia to avoid some of implications that brings.

Take a look at the 20 page CA med board ruling.
This guy was a disgrace, and this tragedy was quite predictable.
This is a dangerous game. When you forget that, your house burns down with you in it.

Bizarro world polypharmacy, no adequate monitoring, not paying attention, not recognizing an emergency, no h&p, false documents, trying to intubate with no laryngoscope (wtf?), obviously no LMAs or other emergency airway gear, etc, etc. probably very limited airway skills after a decade or two of his very strange practice.
Just like Joan, the EMS guys intubated themselves apparently without much difficulty, but far too late.
If you lose the airway and cannot intubate or ventilate, LMA, etc. fails, don't wait for the anoxic brain injury.
They won't wake up in time, nobody is going to bail you out, just cut the neck.
A trach scar and repair is infinitely better than what is only another minute or two away if you don't.
I bet the oral surgeon had a scalpel, probably on the tray 3 feet away. The trach scar will heal, the liquified brain tissue will not.
$50 says no succs there either.
I bet every patient would gladly pay an extra $2.50 for their share of proper emergency medications and equipment.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's just the tip of the iceberg by the way as the now bankrupt center and dentist lost their license and was sited for even worse ethically reprehensible practice such as sedating multiple patients at the same time.
That's probably why Barry is prohibited from supervising PAs for 3 years.

I think that's just the tip of the iceberg by the way as the now bankrupt center and dentist lost their license and was sited for even worse ethically reprehensible practice such as sedating multiple patients at the same time.
That's probably why Barry is prohibited from supervising PAs for 3 years.

This guy should be prohibited from practicing in general-how about making him do MOCA at least??!?!?!?

He is a visionary he invented ketafol and goldilocks anesthesia. We should be taking lessons from him. In fact, if memory serves, he offered to share his knowledge to anyone that PM'd.
While I don't mean to make light of the tragedy, he practiced in an unusual manner, and lost sight of the forest for the trees. No matter how safe and reproducible his techniques, he forgot that anesthesia is inherently dangerous, infinitely more so without adequate safeguards and maintenance of skills.
He was laid low by hubris.

Reactions: 4 users
After reading his old posts, Its obvious that something bad was bound to happen. That level of arrogance and refusal to admit when his "superior" anesthetic technique was inappropriate, was going to result in patient harm sooner or later. Love the posts by coprolalia btw. Entertaining read- Especially because others seemed to adamantly supportive of the guy.

A dose of doxepram would have saved the patient as well....a very cheap drug (well it used to be...we can't seem to get it anymore).

After reading his old posts, Its obvious that something bad was bound to happen. That level of arrogance and refusal to admit when his "superior" anesthetic technique was inappropriate, was going to result in patient harm sooner or later. Love the posts by coprolalia btw. Entertaining read- Especially because others seemed to adamantly supportive of the guy.

Barry had/has some good ideas and I did learn things from him; but, Airway comes first in our field and Barry was much to cavalier about inserting an airway like an LMA or ETT for my tastes. Unfortunately, Barry's time in an office setting left him woefully unprepared to deal with an airway, even a routine airway, since he never needed one...until he needed one but lacked the skills and/or equipment to obtain it.

A dose of doxepram would have saved the patient as well....a very cheap drug (well it used to be...we can't seem to get it anymore).

interesting cuz our surgi center just started stocking the stuff and that's the first time i've seen doxapram anywhere i've practiced.

Indeed ...

PDF said:
An emergency call was placed to 911. Upon arrival, the paramedics successfully intubated and resuscitated P.K. and accused Respondent of interfering with their efforts to provide care. The patient was transported to Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach, CA, where she was declared brain dead on January 23, 2010. Respondent provided the paramedics with anesthesia records pertaining to P.K. that differ from the anesthesia records found in the patient's chart at Smile Implant Center.

Arrogance and narcissism. Hubris. Greed. Weird polypharmacy. Pressure from the proceduralist to push sedation envelopes. Lack of bare minimum resuscitation equipment and emergency supplies. Record falsification. First responders who manage ACLS better than the "expert" who started the case.

These stories may as well come off a Xerox machine. They're always the same, every single one of these cases, from this joker we knew from his SDN appearances, to Joan River's team, to the nameless faceless ordinary person who dies in a dental office ...

Actually not. Remember that CPR does not put the airway first anymore.
For civilians- the major reason that change was made was because 1- bystanders were reluctant to initiate mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and would thus often skip initiating CPR due to the gross out factor and 2) ventilation without an actual manual resuscitator, supplemental oxygen, or airway established was of marginal benefit. In-hospital, airway remained the top priority at our facility, as all that circulation is pretty damn useless with no ventilation happening.

These stories may as well come off a Xerox machine. They're always the same, every single one of these cases, from this joker we knew from his SDN appearances, to Joan River's team, to the nameless faceless ordinary person who dies in a dental office ...

And sadly it's the (fortunately rare) jackoff like this who gives us all a bad reputation.

I was in the original thread when this guy dropped in to SDN. I am not surprised that he was exposed as a fraud.
In my years on this forum, he is the most arrogant poster I have ever seen. There is one that used to come around that is a close second, but I won't mention them.
Barry went all "Pulp Fiction" on the lady with an attempted intracardiac injection followed by an intratracheal injection of epi. Other than being a real crowd pleaser, I'm not sure that would have been my "go to" selection...not even going to discuss the blind intubation attempt on a pulseless patient.

When you don't really practice anesthesia for 20 years you shouldn't be surprised that all the skills and emergency management critical thinking are long gone.
No surprise that a search of the ABA site shows no participation in MOC. Some people, precisely these people, need the MOC and the sim session.

No surprise that a search of the ABA site shows no participation in MOC. Some people, precisely these people, need the MOC and the sim session.

Do you really think requiring MOC or sim sessions would have done anything about the Friedbergs of the world?

IMHO guys like him are exactly the ones who are NOT going to leave a sim session saying, "Huh! Guess I've lost my edge, retirement time for me!"

Stop! Stop! Stop, with this MOC crap. MOC-A means NOTHING. ALL it does it generates an industry where there was none before. NO amount of testing CMES etcetera can make a physician prudent. ANd prudent physicians are not a result of moc or cmes.

It does nothing for the people practicing every day, but it might point out some knowledge deficits and encourage self study for those who need it. Especially if it is redesigned as useful self study modules and tests vs the ineffective system today.

Dr. Friedberg was a very colorful character to say the least, and most likely had some manic aspects to whatever personality disorder or psychosis he suffered.
He was very vocal and very convincing to the lay person to the point that he was able to insert himself as an expert in anesthesiology and as a reference.
He never hesitated in criticizing other anesthesiologists or other physicians if that offered him the publicity his psychosis craved.

It does nothing for the people practicing every day, but it might point out some knowledge deficits and encourage self study for those who need it. Especially if it is redesigned as useful self study modules and tests vs the ineffective system today.

Let's be real. If every single anesthesiologist in the country were to go through MOCA, how many would there be that
  1. Have unappreciated weaknesses that would be revealed through the current or your proposed MOCA
  2. Are self-ignorant enough to not already know that they have personal weaknesses
  3. Are conscientious enough to make changes once these weaknesses are revealed
Most of the folks with major weaknesses are either aware of them and don't care, or, like Friedberg, are too conceited to be self-aware of their weaknesses, and too conceited to accept criticism and correction.

Most people who are conscientious enough to pursue self-improvement will be able to identify their weaknesses without spending thousands of dollars for someone else to evaluate them.

How much money will this cost the system? How many patients will actually benefit from this? Is this the best use of our money?

Let's call MOCA for what it is. An attempt to maintain what good graces we have left with the government. It is a game to show mindless, governmental bureaucrats and politicians that we are "doing something." It is no different than the vast majority of "quality measures." A meaningless game we play to please some bean counter somewhere who picked something to measure because it is easy to measure, not because it has any real impact on the quality of care out patients receive.

- pod

Reactions: 7 users