Is it possible for me to go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xkira

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking at the requirements for medical school and the post baccalaureate premedical program. So far I'm very discouraged because I'm not close to the requirements. I'm about to graduate from college with a GPA of 2.5 or so. I've taken physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and calculus. I got 2 B's and 1 C in physics, C's in chemistry and organic chemistry, and 2 B's and a C in calculus. I started as a science major then changed to economics after 3 years. I am finishing my 5th year of college and have reached my unit limit. I was wondering if its still possible, somehow, for me to get to medical school through a PPP or finish taking and/or retaking some classes to boost my GPA. I would like to go to medical school one way or another. I'm completely lost on what to do. Can someone help point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Possible, but a long long long road ahead of you.

You basically need to enroll as a second degree student. You didn't get that 2.5 in one year, and you're not going to get out of it in one year. Your best shot is to take/retake classes until you have a 3.0. Then ace the MCATS and do an SMP, or an offshore school.

:(I'm will be a third year in the Fall....and by the time I graduate I will be in your same spot. So what i hear is that your best bet is to get into a SMP or MA's...I hear they are expensive.:oops: Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I think it's possible for you to get into medical school? Absolutely. Is it going to happen immediately? Probably not. You need to rock the MCAT and think about enrolling in a post-bac or SMP to boost your GPA. Academic rehabilitation is a long term process and doesn't happen over night. Learn from your past mistakes and move forward. Don't let a lackluster undergraduate performance dictate your capabilities or self-confidence. You have to come to terms with the fact that it may take you longer to get into medical school, but have faith that you will get there!

is there a post-bac that accepts 2.5 gpa's? so far i haven't found one. and could you tell me what SMP stands for? thanks for the responses

is there a post-bac that accepts 2.5 gpa's? so far i haven't found one. and could you tell me what SMP stands for? thanks for the responses

Special Masters Program. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum.

You could do an informal post-bacc, just take the pre reqs and some upper level science classes, and do very well.

thx for the input guys. this informal post-bacc, does it matter where i take my classes? are the classes at one college better than at another college?

any four year college is fine

My suggestions:

-Enroll part/full time at a close (cheap), state (cheap) 4-year college

-Spend your time wisely to improve your ECs while minimizing debt (if your part time, find a research assistant position or a hospital tech position that will help you cover costs...full time? volunteer and start an early internship search for the summers)

-After a couple of years of hardwork you your UGPA will look respectable and, if you used your time wisely, your ECs will show dedication and passion. Add a good MCAT score and you may be able to forgo an expensive SMP.

-After a couple of years of hardwork you your UGPA will look respectable and, if you used your time wisely, your ECs will show dedication and passion. Add a good MCAT score and you may be able to forgo an expensive SMP.

Gotta disagree here. Do the math: the OP has been in school for 4 years to get a 2.5. With 4 more years of full time school, at a 4.0 (which is pretty unlikely for anyone), she will have a 3.25. That's not respectable for any medical school except the Caribbean. OP needs an SMP

My recommendation is

1) take an MCAT prep course and then the MCAT. Make sure you can do well enough that you're not wasting your time with the postbac

2) Take more coursework to get up to at least a 2.8. This is the minimum for getting accepted to an SMP. If you don't have an MCAT that's a few standard deviations above average you're gonna need a 3.0.

3) Use your high MCAT score and your at least a 2.8 GPA to apply to an SMP, then do well enough to get into medical school.

Very long road, but it's been done before. Good luck.

the best way is to enroll at a nearby university (somewhere respectable) and if you can, take full time load (if you can't, do halftime) and ace them. Do this for at least a year. if you're doing half time, it will probably take longer. after you've collected as many A's as possible in upper division science classes and are pretty comfortable doing well (this is key), apply to SMP programs (there are lots out there but make sure you choose/apply to the ones that can give you the best "guarantee" at getting you in somewhere. No school can technically guarantee you a spot (although there are certainly schools that will save you a spot if you do well...not many tho). Your UG gpa is going to hurt you a lot when you apply to medschools (lots of schools filter applicants out based on UG gpa's, etc) but if medicine is truly your dream, you'll find a way. Having a strong performance before doing an SMP is crucial b/c it can be a good way to gauge how well you will do in the SMP program. If you perform mediocre/poorly here, you will not only have lost time and money, but it's a sure way to kiss medschool goodbye. don't be disheartened though, i was in your exact position 4 years ago and now i will be a M2 this fall. It can be done but you have to decide how much you want this as well as play your cards smart.

GOODLUCK!

Thanks for the input. So from what I've read and some of your comments, let me see if I've got this right.

I need to finish a year of biology, retake some/all of the science classes, study and take the MCAT, take some upper division science classes...apply to an SMP sometime later in the year?

Also, I've taken biology A and retaken it to get a C. Should I continue the biology at the same school starting at biology B and then moving onto C? or could I just start over at a different school?

Another option: from my understanding, AACOMAS doesn't average courses you have repeated and instead takes the most recent grade you've earned. If you can hammer through your pre-reqs and earn strong grades, the path to becoming a physician via the DO route might be somewhat shorter.

You'd still have to do well on the MCAT so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Do I think it's possible for you to get into medical school? Absolutely. Is it going to happen immediately? Probably not. You need to rock the MCAT and think about enrolling in a post-bac or SMP to boost your GPA. Academic rehabilitation is a long term process and doesn't happen over night. Learn from your past mistakes and move forward. Don't let a lackluster undergraduate performance dictate your capabilities or self-confidence. You have to come to terms with the fact that it may take you longer to get into medical school, but have faith that you will get there!

DocSoMa,

Love this quote you have >>"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." -Theodore Roosevelt<<

I think that if you are looking for allopathic it'll be very difficult. Osteopathic schools allow you to retake classes and I would definitely suggest that...especially those C's.

I think you also need to slam them out of the park (A's) and be sure that if you haven't taken the MCAT, not to take it until you are really prepared.

Best of luck!

Hi, I was looking at the requirements for medical school and the post baccalaureate premedical program. So far I'm very discouraged because I'm not close to the requirements. I'm about to graduate from college with a GPA of 2.5 or so. I've taken physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and calculus. I got 2 B's and 1 C in physics, C's in chemistry and organic chemistry, and 2 B's and a C in calculus. I started as a science major then changed to economics after 3 years. I am finishing my 5th year of college and have reached my unit limit. I was wondering if its still possible, somehow, for me to get to medical school through a PPP or finish taking and/or retaking some classes to boost my GPA. I would like to go to medical school one way or another. I'm completely lost on what to do. Can someone help point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Kriss, I'm glad you like the quote! I find it to be incredibly inspirational when I'm feeling down.

yo

xkira, i feel ya man, i was in the same position as you.

i recommend looking into DO route, you can re-take all your pre-req classes and boost up that gap because the most recent class you re-take will get replaced.,... volunteer...get into some good opportunity programs...work...take time to study for the mcats...and just apply 2009 for admissions into 2010.

thats my 2 cent,s hope it helps