USMLE1DOC

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hi SDN members,

It was always great to visit and read so many messages on this forum. I am an IMG from India graduated in 2005. I'm out of touch of my studies for almost 6 months before which I had done a superficial overview of all the subjects.
I want to write part 1 in october due to inevitable personal reasons.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ACE STEP1 IN 2 MONTHS? :confused:

I would like to make best use of the advice of senior members on this forum to make it possible in such a short time.

What would you all suggest about the game plan for these 2 months considering no commitments and full time 24X7 for studies with a habit of studying for 10-12 hours a day.
Kindly help me..this is a SOS.

I have following material-
First Aid-2006
Kaplan 2005 notes + Qbook + DVD lectures
BRS- Patho, physio, behavioural schience
HY-Mol.bio, Immuno, Biostats.
Goljan Audio + notes

Which books/material should be on a priority list?
I'd appreciate if suggested time table is provided :D

USMLE1DOC

jdig

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
2 months is a lot more time than your average test taker will devote. however you are in a similiar situation to myself.. i bought all the same books as you but what i quickly found was: its too much.
i spent the first month going through first aid...but i couldnt absorb it very well. my qbank scores were sub-par..but i also made it through goljan audio, highly recommend.
so a week ago i began a new plan which many will frown upon but is working great for me. i do 200 q-bank q's per day...and upon review i write down every right and wrong answer and definition..this takes about 10 pages handwritten..then i spend the evening reviewing these notes.
i just finished my first week, q-bank scores are up 10%...i will keep this system for the next 2-3 weeks, and spend my last 1-2 reviewing low score areas in first aid and taking nbme's.
hope that helps. the most important thing is dont get anxious, just take it one step at a time, you will be fine. :)

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
Land of the Free; Home of the Brave
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
2 months is totally more than enough - in fact it may be too much. I studied 3 weeks. My friends all studied 3-4 weeks and our average was in the 230's ranging from 220 - 255. So yes you can do quite well!

About the Ads

thackl

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
2 months is 2 long. Try to keep it under 6wks or you'll burn out. If I had 9wks (as you're proposing), I'd take 1 off up front, study hard for 6, then take the last 2 off...... wait a minute..... that is what I did :cool:

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
"to each his own"

if you dilly dally like myself, 8 weeks is not enough.

OP
U

USMLE1DOC

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Sp the general consensus is that its possible! :)
So now what should be the plan of action?
Any sequence of subjects to be done...
Any material "must do" in case of feeling of time shortage?

What does "dilly dally" mean? :oops:

usmle1doc

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
dilly dally means to procrasinate/put things off.

I am only a second year and have not taken the USMLE Step 1 yet. But from what I have read on this forum, it seems the most people use Kaplan's Qbank and just about everyone recommends Golijan audio and notes, FA and BRS guides you listed.

Qbook may not be enough.

About the Ads