Is it possible to apply to US match without taking USMLE Steps?

Started by BlueCloud
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlueCloud

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
This might be a ridiculous question. But is it possible to apply to the US Match without having taking any of the USMLE steps? I did not write any of the USMLE steps as I am a graduate of a Canadian medical school. I have however written both the MCCQE part I & part II. Will the US residency programs not even bother looking at me because I do not have a USMLE score?
Has anyone ever heard of a Canadian graduate being admitted to a US residency without having taken the USMLE steps? I know for a fact that for US State licensing requirements, having taken the MCCQE part I & part II is counted as equivalent to having completing all 3 steps of the USMLE. I just wonder if I will not be looked at by programs because I do not have a USMLE score that they probably use in their computerized filtering program during the application process.