Is it possible to do an OMFS externship after D1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dynomite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if it's possible to do an OMFS externship the summer after D1 year? I know your clinical training at that point will be minimal at best, but is an externship possible at that point? If not, when is the best time to get started with externships?

Members don't see this ad.

Dynomite said:
Just curious if it's possible to do an OMFS externship the summer after D1 year? I know your clinical training at that point will be minimal at best, but is an externship possible at that point? If not, when is the best time to get started with externships?

I think the best time to go is after your 2nd year ends. At that point you know how to give LA and have taken some OMS classes. First year you don't know anything. Instead of externing during 1st year, you can hang around your school's OMS clinic during your free time.

Dynomite said:

Gary Ruska here,
The answer to your question is yes, but possibly no.

Thanks for posting,
Gary Ruska

Members don't see this ad :)
gary_ruska said:
Gary Ruska here,

Thanks for posting,
Gary Ruska
Are you a tenor?

gary_ruska said:
Gary Ruska here,

Thanks for posting,
Gary Ruska

Hehehe...

toofache32 said:
Are you a tenor?

Gary Ruska used to be a tenor. Then Gary Ruska got kicked in the nuts. Now Gary Ruska sings falsetto.

Any advice from the OMFS residents on this forum?

Please, somebody other than this Gary Ruska, character.

Dynomite said:

I think it is good to get involved as early as possible. If you have the time, then why not do an externship your first year. I would recommend doing one at your own school though. This will give you the opportunity to learn the basics, and to make a good (hopefully) impression on your own faculty, i.e. the people that should be writing your letters of recommendation. I did an externship at my own school in Dec. of my first year. Remember, you have plenty of time to do one of the high powered externships after or during your second or third years, once you have learned more. :thumbup:

Many places require you to be a third year or higher before they will accept you as an extern. I agree with previous post that you should start with an externship at your own place. I did an OMS externship second year because the PD made an exception for me becuase he thought I was good candidate for his program (btw, whether you get in or not has lots to do with if they like you more than numbers).

My advice is as a first year try to get in to the grand rounds, lectures, tumor boards, or M&M conferences that don't conflict with your DS lectures. I did that first year and the PD was soooooo impressed I was that interested. I attended lots of lectures and it really got me ready for externship. I was much more knowledgeable than the other student externs because of the notes I took during these lectures.

Definitely try to impress at your home school so you can get awesome recommendations and maybe even lock in an acceptance at your own school.

Good Luck!! :thumbup:

Dynomite said:

I have been out of school for a while, but back in the late 80's what I did was to inquire on my first day of dental school what it took to be a successful applicant to the OMS program. The OMS dept. head told me to attend Grand Rounds he conducted every Wednesday and Saturday at 7:00 AM. I did this faithfully for 4 years and I was a shoo-in for one of the two available 1st yr. resident spots. I never did any externship, never did a paper or even a table clinic. Just showed up for Grand Rounds, and spent every bit of down time (e.g. patient no-shows) in the OMS clinic slicking teeth. I did my lab work and my didactic studies in the evening and weekends. I graduated 22nd in a class of 145, and my Boards were 87/90. Nothing spectacular, but I went through one of the best OMS residencies in the country at the time. I think if you show a strong interest in OMS, you will get in. To be successful in private practice, you have to have surgery as your vocation and your hobby and neglect your family and friends as much as possible. That's the road to wealth in OMS. If you want to walk with the bravado of a surgeon, that's what it takes. Forget about externships. If your dental school has an OMS program, start kissing butt!

1slickdoc said:
Forget about externships.
I disagree with this statement.

I do agree that getting your foot in the door with your own school's program is a good place to start. Going to rounds and spending time with the residents and faculty are great ways to increase your OMS exposure, but it won't guarantee you a residency spot come Match time. That's great that it worked out for slickdoc, but I don't think his situation is typical. I think he would be surprised to see what a typical CV, these days, from an OMS applicant looks like. On Match day, you don't want to be the guy sitting there wishing he'd have done more. You'd much rather be the guy thinking, "The expense, the time, the effort was all worth it now."

1slickdoc said:
I have been out of school for a while, but back in the late 80's what I did was to inquire on my first day of dental school what it took to be a successful applicant to the OMS program. The OMS dept. head told me to attend Grand Rounds he conducted every Wednesday and Saturday at 7:00 AM. I did this faithfully for 4 years and I was a shoo-in for one of the two available 1st yr. resident spots. I never did any externship, never did a paper or even a table clinic. Just showed up for Grand Rounds, and spent every bit of down time (e.g. patient no-shows) in the OMS clinic slicking teeth. I did my lab work and my didactic studies in the evening and weekends. I graduated 22nd in a class of 145, and my Boards were 87/90. Nothing spectacular, but I went through one of the best OMS residencies in the country at the time. I think if you show a strong interest in OMS, you will get in. To be successful in private practice, you have to have surgery as your vocation and your hobby and neglect your family and friends as much as possible. That's the road to wealth in OMS. If you want to walk with the bravado of a surgeon, that's what it takes. Forget about externships. If your dental school has an OMS program, start kissing butt!

my, my, my how times have changed....now a days we'd call this method illegitimate "back door" approach into the specialty. I wouldn't recommend this in the year 2006... legitimize yourself with strong scores, solid class rank and externships. Then you can have more confidence whereever you interview. The above method is like putting all your eggs in one basket....

1slickdoc said:
Forget about externships. If your dental school has an OMS program, start kissing butt!

I disagree as well. If you want to go to the OMFS program at your dental school, then yes get involved with the department there (shadowing, assisting, attend Grand Rounds and lit reviews). Even so, that does not guarantee or even a "foot-in" for a spot.

Great class ranking and Part 1 are still the keys to success (80%)! Externships, I can not emphasize enough. If any thing, my externship participations and involvements saved my @ss. Wasn't for my externships, I may not had received 3 of my interview invitations!

Regardless, it's nice to see older timers on SDN! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

1slickdoc said:
I went through one of the best OMS residencies in the country at the time.

This statement is debate-able I'm sure! Mind sharing which residency you're referring to?