Is it possible to get an EM residency as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's much MUCH worse over there. I used to frequently post in Pre-Allo until about April of this year. It's terrible now. Trolls, egotistical pre-meds, gunners galore, you name it. And, the hSDN peeps post in there frequently which makes it pathetic since they know nothing about this process.

no kidding it's pretty hard to tell what's real and what's not anymore in that forum

Members don't see this ad.

i know many are posting very sarcastic responses but even if you read other DO threads about doing ENT, plastics, or any other competitive residency just know everything is possible if you really want it and are willing to put the time and effort to make it happen...there are some residencies that people on this forum say is impossible to get as a DO (yet ironically they all know a DO in said specialty) so once you decide what specialty you want work hard, do well on your boards, get great LORs and I am sure everything will turn out for the best!

Well said. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully I'm not too late to respond to this thread, but my Dermatologist is a DO. Her husband is also a DO and is an orthopedic surgeon. Both completed allopathic residencies and when asked what how she was able to secure such a competitive residency, she told me to simply study my @ss off for the USMLE step 1.

Hopefully I'm not too late to respond to this thread, but my Dermatologist is a DO. Her husband is also a DO and is an orthopedic surgeon. Both completed allopathic residencies and when asked what how she was able to secure such a competitive residency, she told me to simply study my @ss off for the USMLE step 1.

oh great, that's easy enough. actual statistics be damned, studying your ass off on step 1 doesn't magically equal a great score

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure studying like crazy is what we all have to do regardless of our degree...

You are the biggest pessimist in the entire forum.

There's no pessimism, there's just more to matching than studying hard for step 1, especially in certain fields. Everyone thinks they're going to be the one who crushes step 1 when obviously not everyone ends up doing that

There's no pessimism, there's just more to matching than studying hard for step 1, especially in certain fields. Everyone thinks they're going to be the one who crushes step 1 when obviously not everyone ends up doing that

Well, going into the test with confidence beats the hell out of going into the test with a negative attitude. Obviously there are other factors when applying to residency such as the dean's letter, your Letters of Rec, and research experience. However, a really high step 1 couldn't hurt :)

oh great, that's easy enough. actual statistics be damned, studying your ass off on step 1 doesn't magically equal a great score

While this is true, if you have that "knack" for standardized testing, I don't think it is unreasonable to think you would do well, as long as you put in the effort. There is a reason the MCAT is such an important part of the admissions process.

That being said, if one is sitting with a mediocre score, and gets accepted by the skin of their teeth, they are certainly naive to automatically expect great performance on boards.