Is it possible to get an EM residency as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rafman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to a DO school and based on my grades/mcats it looks like an MD school is not in my reach. I still have no idea what I want to specialize in, but I was curious if DO's are successful in getting decent/ good EM residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, not possible at all

You're stuck doing FM. Sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got accepted to a DO school and based on my grades/mcats it looks like an MD school is not in my reach. I still have no idea what I want to specialize in, but I was curious if DO's are successful in getting decent/ good EM residencies?
i know many are posting very sarcastic responses but even if you read other DO threads about doing ENT, plastics, or any other competitive residency just know everything is possible if you really want it and are willing to put the time and effort to make it happen...there are some residencies that people on this forum say is impossible to get as a DO (yet ironically they all know a DO in said specialty) so once you decide what specialty you want work hard, do well on your boards, get great LORs and I am sure everything will turn out for the best!

OP, I'm just being a jerk. As DrBowtie said EM is a very DO friendly field. Work hard, do well, and you'll match somewhere.

At the two ED's I've worked at, both DIRECTORS were DO's. And both ED's were well oiled machines.

yes, there are many DO residents working at the ED I volunteer, even the attending physician is DO

DOs can be anything that MDs can do! I shadowed a cardiologist who was a DO (which is a super competitive field).

Two of the five current EM chief residents at UT Southwestern are DOs. Nuff said.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let you in on a little secret. There are osteopathic residencies in pretty much every specialty. DOs can also apply to allopathic residency programs provided they take the USMLE.

I've met many emergency med DOs.

Very successful. it's a very quickly growing field right now, and they need EM physicians all over the country. Go to the AOA site and look up physicians in your area by specialty-you can see how many EM guys/gals there are.

Oh darn, I suppose you got to fall back on that last resort DO option:rolleyes:

Pretty self explanatory I'd say.

Yea, I kinda thought so too. I'm saying that I don't agree with the whole "Dr. NP" thing. I don't want to derail the thread so I just thought the thumbs down would get the point across.

Yea, I kinda thought so too. I'm saying that I don't agree with the whole "Dr. NP" thing. I don't want to derail the thread so I just thought the thumbs down would get the point across.

I wasn't sure if you were agreeing with me or were offended by my "D"NP comment

You do realize that DO and MD residencies are completely different, right?

My girlfriend is a DO and matched into a DO dermatology program. Several of her classmates went on to match into DO ob/gyn and EM programs. You don't have to apply to an MD program unless you really want to, in which case you'll probably have to take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX exams.

You do realize that DO and MD residencies are completely different, right?

My girlfriend is a DO and matched into a DO dermatology program. Several of her classmates went on to match into DO ob/gyn and EM programs. You don't have to apply to an MD program unless you really want to, in which case you'll probably have to take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX exams.

Another fun fact: If you apply to both DO and MD residencies and successfully match DO, you are automatically knocked out of consideration for MD slots (you don't get a choice-the system informs the NRMP). The DO match occurs earlier than the MD one, which is why this is possible.

There are more MD residencies than DO ones available, in more locations, which is a large part of the reason why people apply to both.

I'm just curious how you could not know something like this and you plan on matriculating to medical school?

When you shadowed a DO, didn't they let you know that there are ER programs that are DO only?

I'm just curious how you could not know something like this and you plan on matriculating to medical school?

When you shadowed a DO, didn't they let you know that there are ER programs that are DO only?

I'm sorry if I sounded naive or obnoxious. I really do love what Osteopathic medicine stands for. I knew that DO's specialize in all specialties, but I'm seriously the most gullible person in the world. I was talking to my pre-med advisor and he made it sound like only very few DO's specialize because they don't have the opportunities and because they have a "stigma". Now that I think of it, he's kind of an ******* lol. When I posted this thread I was kind of freaking out and had a lapse of judgment.

The DO I shadowed was a family practitioner, he was a great doctor but he really didn't give me any insight or info into osteopathic medicine.

Unfortunately with DO training your pretty much like a fancy cna. I heard only people who went to harvard as undergrad then john hopkins for md can be er docs.

DOs can also apply to allopathic residency programs provided they take the USMLE.
QUOTE]

Actually many allopathic programs accept the COMPLEX without a candidate having to take the USMLE. I only took the COMPLEX (aka COMLEX) and matched to an allopathic residency. I never took the USMLE.

Thanks.

Wook

Actually many allopathic programs accept the COMPLEX without a candidate having to take the USMLE. I only took the COMPLEX (aka COMLEX) and matched to an allopathic residency. I never took the USMLE.

Thanks.

Wook
Thanks for the info wook. I did not know that.

Raffie, I do suggest you read book "The Difference a D.O. Makes" that was handed out during the interview. It'll give you insight about what a D.O. does and where the stigma comes from (gives you a history of the AMA having beef with AOA and why, WWI issues, etc).

I worked as a scribe in the E.R. for over two years and many of the physicians were D.O.s. Interestingly, most of the positive patient feedbacks from the callback logs were addressed to the D.O. docs. D.O.s are more patient-oriented vs disease-oriented so they focus more on pro-actively maintaining good health (FM) than waiting for symptoms to arise for treatment (specialization). I'd still have a difficult choice to choose between an MD and DO school, tbqh.

Unfortunately with DO training your pretty much like a fancy cna. I heard only people who went to harvard as undergrad then john hopkins for md can be er docs.

THIS IS SOUND ADVICE, RIGHT HERE :thumbup:

Raffie, I do suggest you read book "The Difference a D.O. Makes" that was handed out during the interview. It'll give you insight about what a D.O. does and where the stigma comes from (gives you a history of the AMA having beef with AOA and why, WWI issues, etc).

I worked as a scribe in the E.R. for over two years and many of the physicians were D.O.s. Interestingly, most of the positive patient feedbacks from the callback logs were addressed to the D.O. docs. D.O.s are more patient-oriented vs disease-oriented so they focus more on pro-actively maintaining good health (FM) than waiting for symptoms to arise for treatment (specialization). I'd still have a difficult choice to choose between an MD and DO school, tbqh.

This gave me my belly laugh for the day, I sincerely thank you for this

and thank god for harvard-trained presidents - our country has never been in better shape :<

This gave me my belly laugh for the day, I sincerely thank you for this

haha yeah really. 98% of modern DO students DONT drink the koolaid. They learn the same things and dont see themselves as any different than MD students....aside from having to put up with the extreme inconvenience of OMM.

All DOs are Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons.

haha yeah really. 98% of modern DO students DONT drink the koolaid. They learn the same things and dont see themselves as any different than MD students....aside from having to put up with the extreme inconvenience of OMM.

this pretty much sums up my life.

The crazy thing about these threads is that they could be answered if people would just look up all the [insert specialty here] in their area on the local hospitals' websites. Chances are a few of them would be DO's.

The crazy thing about these threads is that they could be answered if people would just look up all the [insert specialty here] in their area on the local hospitals' websites. Chances are a few of them would be DO's.

I agree. Unfortunately people are either A) too lazy to put in the slightest bit of effort to search or B) not bright enough to figure that out.

I would like to hope most people are A, but the sad reality is more likely B

I don't understand how you get accepted to a DO school but don't know the answer to this question...

Seriously, at least do your homework before you start sending applications out left and right...

Anyways I would drop your acceptance and enroll in PA school.

I wonder if the Pre-MD threads are filled with so many sarcastic jerks :rolleyes:

... actually I am enjoying the humor :laugh:

I wonder if the Pre-MD threads are filled with so many sarcastic jerks :rolleyes:

... actually I am enjoying the humor :laugh:

It's much MUCH worse over there. I used to frequently post in Pre-Allo until about April of this year. It's terrible now. Trolls, egotistical pre-meds, gunners galore, you name it. And, the hSDN peeps post in there frequently which makes it pathetic since they know nothing about this process.