Is it possible to overcome my past record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonymousAdvice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fairly studious and driven in certain aspects of my life, but like many young people I've made many mistakes in my past. Though I'm a completely different person today, who will be close to 30 by the time I'm ready to apply, I'm terrified my past transgressions will obscure the positive personal growth I've demonstrated since then, and an otherwise decent application for medical school.

As a minor, I was arrested for a minor in possession of alcohol at 16, then received a citation for transportation of alcohol a year later at 17 and lost my license for six months (not a DUI, had alcohol in the car and officer noticed it when he came up to my car to help me because my tire blew out). Neither of these are felonies. I also received some sort of disciplinary for "disturbing the peace", though I was 14 then and it got handled through a "peer jury " so I don't believe I was ever criminally charged (I would still report it to admissions even if I can't find record of it in the interest of honesty and integrity).

Despite my marked pattern of acting out, repeated same mistakes, etc, I did well enough in school to get an academic scholarship to a private school out of state. I spent two years there and my grades were decent, mostly As/Bs, but had to leave school after hitting a low period with my health (not planning to mention the health reason in my app, as it was mental health). I had taken incompletes in courses during that second year of school that were to be completed upon my return, but when I failed to finish one of the incompletes and it was replaced with an F, I lost my scholarship and couldn't pay the private tuition. Thus, I never went back so all 8 incompletes turned into Fs and I received an institutional action notation on that transcript. That same year I got another MIP at 20 yrs old, but was pled down to a noise violation charge (wasn't drinking was present at a house where it was occurring).

That's where my bad record ended. After drifting a bit and waiting tables, I finally found a job I enjoyed working with victims of violence at a non profit. I excelled there, was heavily involved with the organization and committed extra time to victim's rights legislation advocacy, was promoted to a leadership role, and collaborated on a special pet project that focused outreach on under served pockets of our city. Was there 3 yrs, did case mgmt and some hospital advocaCy for rape victims and was shown firsthand psychosocial implications of trauma. I realized I'd found my niche in working with ppl and went back to school to further my opportunities.

At age 24- Started out social work major, became fascinated with the neurobiology of trauma while volunteering at the VA, and switched to biochemistry. Unfortunately I got mono my first semester back and had to request a medical withdrawal from 4 classes that year--doesn't affect my gpa, was in social work classes anyway, but it doesn't help my preexisting pattern. I promptly turned it around though.

I have a 3.8 since being back in school the last 2.5yrs, 4.0 science gpa. Im an intern in a neurology research lab at the state medical school (PI about to publish), tutor chemistry undergrads, work a summer science scholars program for kids, and volunteer on a helpline, among other less involved activities.

Some of my science prerequisites are AP credits, so I'll be retaking those my last year. That means I still have two years left of undergrad to keep my academic record clean and hone my app. No MCAT yet, currently studying for it and receive 38-39 on practice tests so far.

I'm trying to stay positive and focus on the things I can still control, but after reading some of the things ppl say about criminal records and withdrawals, I feel I just have too much to look past. Anyone else with advice on navigating this type of app, explanations vs excuses? I have no problem owning up to my immaturity. No preference of DO vs MD, I want a fulfilling career not a fancy signature. Nontrad success stories welcome. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

I've been fairly studious and driven in certain aspects of my life, but like many young people I've made many mistakes in my past. Though I'm a completely different person today, who will be close to 30 by the time I'm ready to apply, I'm terrified my past transgressions will obscure the positive personal growth I've demonstrated since then, and an otherwise decent application for medical school.

As a minor, I was arrested for a minor in possession of alcohol at 16, then received a citation for transportation of alcohol a year later at 17 and lost my license for six months (not a DUI, had alcohol in the car and officer noticed it when he came up to my car to help me because my tire blew out). Neither of these are felonies. I also received some sort of disciplinary for "disturbing the peace", though I was 14 then and it got handled through a "peer jury " so I don't believe I was ever criminally charged (I would still report it to admissions even if I can't find record of it in the interest of honesty and integrity).

Despite my marked pattern of acting out, repeated same mistakes, etc, I did well enough in school to get an academic scholarship to a private school out of state. I spent two years there and my grades were decent, mostly As/Bs, but had to leave school after hitting a low period with my health (not planning to mention the health reason in my app, as it was mental health). I had taken incompletes in courses during that second year of school that were to be completed upon my return, but when I failed to finish one of the incompletes and it was replaced with an F, I lost my scholarship and couldn't pay the private tuition. Thus, I never went back so all 8 incompletes turned into Fs and I received an institutional action notation on that transcript. That same year I got another MIP at 20 yrs old, but was pled down to a noise violation charge (wasn't drinking was present at a house where it was occurring).

That's where my bad record ended. After drifting a bit and waiting tables, I finally found a job I enjoyed working with victims of violence at a non profit. I excelled there, was heavily involved with the organization and committed extra time to victim's rights legislation advocacy, was promoted to a leadership role, and collaborated on a special pet project that focused outreach on under served pockets of our city. Was there 3 yrs, did case mgmt and some hospital advocaCy for rape victims and was shown firsthand psychosocial implications of trauma. I realized I'd found my niche in working with ppl and went back to school to further my opportunities.

At age 24- Started out social work major, became fascinated with the neurobiology of trauma while volunteering at the VA, and switched to biochemistry. Unfortunately I got mono my first semester back and had to request a medical withdrawal from 4 classes that year--doesn't affect my gpa, was in social work classes anyway, but it doesn't help my preexisting pattern. I promptly turned it around though.

I have a 3.8 since being back in school the last 2.5yrs, 4.0 science gpa. Im an intern in a neurology research lab at the state medical school (PI about to publish), tutor chemistry undergrads, work a summer science scholars program for kids, and volunteer on a helpline, among other less involved activities.

Some of my science prerequisites are AP credits, so I'll be retaking those my last year. That means I still have two years left of undergrad to keep my academic record clean and hone my app. No MCAT yet, currently studying for it and receive 38-39 on practice tests so far.

I'm trying to stay positive and focus on the things I can still control, but after reading some of the things ppl say about criminal records and withdrawals, I feel I just have too much to look past. Anyone else with advice on navigating this type of app, explanations vs excuses? I have no problem owning up to my immaturity. No preference of DO vs MD, I want a fulfilling career not a fancy signature. Nontrad success stories welcome. Thanks so much
What are your overall sGPA and cGPAs? I think if they are both over 3.0 you should have a shot. Some schools have publicly stated on their website that they only consider the last 120-90 credits which would make you an above average candidate with the massive upward trend. Most of the students on this site with terrible (3.0-3.2) overall GPAs that got into a school had a great postbac or SMP (3.7+) and had a good MCAT 505+. If you are scoring a 38-39 on practice tests then I would say you would get at least 3-4 II if applying to 15-20 schools.

As for your criminal history, multiple misdemeanors would probably automatically disqualify you from a few programs BUT some states automatically expunge juvenile misdemeanors after age 24. I would also work on expunging your MIP from when you were 20. In my state (Florida) you can only expunge a case if it is your only crime. Also, I would not bother with MD. They seem to value overall GPA more so than DO schools. If you can manage to keep up your 3.8 gpa during your last two years I would say you are pretty good for DO.

You're doing great so far. We all love underdogs. It's in our DNA.