Is it possible to overwhelm a med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luhando

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have already gotten a recommendation from a professor I do research with, but much has happened since then and he seems very happy with me especially recently. Is it worth getting another letter from him? I was afraid it would make me look desperate, because I have already sent an extra recommendation since being waitlisted and a few letters of intent. Would the second rec seem like an act of desperation?

Other problem, the prof asked me to write it for him. Since I never read his first one, I am unsure how I can 'add' to that one.

Members don't see this ad.

luhando said:
So I have already gotten a recommendation from a professor I do research with, but much has happened since then and he seems very happy with me especially recently. Is it worth getting another letter from him? I was afraid it would make me look desperate, because I have already sent an extra recommendation since being waitlisted and a few letters of intent. Would the second rec seem like an act of desperation?

Other problem, the prof asked me to write it for him. Since I never read his first one, I am unsure how I can 'add' to that one.

i think two recs from the same person is over-doing it for sure. i am sure your first one was good enough and will get the job done. if you have done something noteworthy, consider an update letter instead

luhando said:

You can't go back to the same well. As for whether you can overwhelm a med school, I'm sure you can.
I know someone who does interviewing for residency positions, and he said they actually rejected someone simply because they overdid it and showed up with a glossy professionally printed brochure of themself with pictures, quotes from recommenders, etc. Didn't go over big. I suspect adcoms can be similarly swayed.