Is it possible to transfer as a PGY-2 into another residency spot after completing PGY-1 here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a program has a open PGY-2 spot, what is the process of transferring into this program if you are finishing up PGY-1 at your current program?

Do you have to go through ERAS or something or can you just cold-call the program director? Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

If a program has a open PGY-2 spot, what is the process of transferring into this program if you are finishing up PGY-1 at your current program?

Do you have to go through ERAS or something or can you just cold-call the program director? Thank you all.
I'm sure there are people here also interested in just switching programs. Might be a good idea to start a thread posting what region you are and what region you'd like to go and the rest can be done through PM. Might get you more opportunities than a chance opening.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure there are people here also interested in just switching programs. Might be a good idea to start a thread posting what region you are and what region you'd like to go and the rest can be done through PM. Might get you more opportunities than a chance opening.
Thank you, that sounds like a great idea. Would it be okay to do it here? On this subforum?

And also, would a residency program just take any old resident for a one-to-one switch? Or is the thread just meant to show vacancies?

Thank you, that sounds like a great idea. Would it be okay to do it here? On this subforum?

And also, would a residency program just take any old resident for a one-to-one switch? Or is the thread just meant to show vacancies?
Technically, there is a subforum here for that (Internship, Residency and Fellowship Positions) but it is not psychiatry specific and its pretty messy without a lot of serious inquiries. I am not sure if it is against the rules but it would be a lot easier and more organized if there was just 1 thread here which people can post their info. I don't think the forum I linked is very well-known either. I don't think it would hurt to post a thread here, worst thing that can happen is that it gets closed or moved.

Reactions: 1 user