Is it possible to work part-time during your first/second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iVision

SCCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all your current optometry students, do you think it is possible to work part time (about 10-12 hours a week) during your first and second years at optometry school. I want to work part-time so that I have a little side cash while I'm there but am a little worried on whether or not it will compromise my grades/performance in my courses. Any advice or feedback would be great!!

Members don't see this ad.

For all your current optometry students, do you think it is possible to work part time (about 10-12 hours a week) during your first and second years at optometry school. I want to work part-time so that I have a little side cash while I'm there but am a little worried on whether or not it will compromise my grades/performance in my courses. Any advice or feedback would be great!!

10-12 hours is definitely doable but I would strongly recommend doing work-study. That way you aren't losing much study time.

I worked all 4 years I was in optometry school. There are plenty of easy jobs on campus. One job I had involved me sitting and monitoring the computer lab. I could surf the net and study, it was great.

you could get a job working in the library.

you can also consider getting TA or tutoring jobs, which will enhance your learning as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you stick to your guns about only working 10-12 hours a week it is definitely doable. I worked in a private practice my first year of school & found myself picking up more hours than I had intended. My second & third years I was a TA & tutor. This was much more rewarding and allowed me to build rapport with the instructors who taught the class. The pay was not as good but I feel it was the better experience in the long run. If your state has a food stamp program I believe you have to do work-study to qualify for it.

I duno...last semester that was doable...this semester I think I work about 5 hours a week max...but work/study is definately key...as long as you find a work/study that actually lets you study

I currently work between 8-12 hrs a week at a local bs commercial optical as an OD-tech. While it's doable and nice to have a few extra bucks in my pocket, in retrospect I think I would have rather just taken out a few extra grand and enjoy my free time.

I currently work between 8-12 hrs a week at a local bs commercial optical as an OD-tech. While it's doable and nice to have a few extra bucks in my pocket, in retrospect I think I would have rather just taken out a few extra grand and enjoy my free time.

No...you're doing the right thing. Keep your debt low and use this experience in a "bs commercial optical" to observe what works and what doesn't work in that environment both from the optometrist standpoint and from the optical standpoint. File that away for future reference.