Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazingcmft

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of my sophmore year of community college, of 5 classes taken I received 2 F's and a D. The 2 F's were in political science and art history, while the D was in Astronomy. Following that unsavory semester I took a year hiatus from school and did various things in an effort to "find myself". After that year I came back to school and finished my sophmore year with a 4.0--this included retaking these courses. Next I was lucky to be accepted into a top UC. My first year at this UC I received A+'s in every class I took, 7/9 of which were science courses. I also began doing research with a professor in the field of neuroscience, and will be getting my name as a contributor to some recent research we have conducted. Ultimately, I am concerned that no matter what I do at this point, this early misstep of "2 F's and a D" will prevent me from being accepted into any respectable med school. It seems to be always pulling my GPA down despite my best efforts.

Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

You absolutely can get into medical school, even a top one if you have the EC's, high mcat score, and a compelling narrative. You're doing good so far, keep up the hard work.

Reactions: 1 user
It was your freshman year. Easy to repair GPA and looks like you’re well on your way. Keep focusing on what you can control right now which is your academics and other elements that will strengthen your application—clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and research. One step at a time as it’s easy to focus on the destination too intently that you don’t enjoy the journey.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
You will certainly get in if you get a 4.0 the rest of the way. Just make sure you work hard to bolster the rest of your app

You're on a very steep upward slope. Looks good to me.

No problem. Upward trend is a you need now.