Is It Really Harder To Get Into Vet School Than Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The real question that should be asked:

"Is it harder to get into a vet school that won't bankrupt you for years and years afterward because your starting salary is severely lower than that of a human doctor?"

To which I think most people would answer yes - because it really sucks to only have one shot at your single in-state school, and the salary just isn't as forgiving for OOS costs as a human doctor/dentist/etc.

Members don't see this ad.

To which I think most people would answer yes - because it really sucks to only have one shot at your single in-state school, and the salary just isn't as forgiving for OOS costs as a human doctor/dentist/etc.

And that is if you're lucky enough to live in a state that has an in-state option that's cheap! Lots of states don't have a school, and some IS schools' tuition isn't even all that much of a bargain. The tuition and fees part of our finaid budget next year at UCDavis is $30K as a CA resident. :eek: And I believe PA, NY and MA residents at the very least can sympathize...

And that is if you're lucky enough to live in a state that has an in-state option that's cheap! Lots of states don't have a school, and some IS schools' tuition isn't even all that much of a bargain. The tuition and fees part of our finaid budget next year at UCDavis is $30K as a CA resident. :eek: And I believe PA, NY and MA residents at the very least can sympathize...

WOW! Just for tuition/fees? I'm so glad to be a MO resident! My first year of tuition/fees will be about $17K which is no joke but nothing compared to $30K!

Members don't see this ad :)
In Canada, it's kind of weird because unless you live in Alberta, you can only apply to one vet school. Pre-med students can apply to a whole bunch of different med schools, but pre-vets are usually limited to one, and the competition can vary between provinces.

Using WCVM as an example:
Average # of Alberta applicants for past four years: 123
Accepted: 20
Percentage: 16.3%

Average # of Manitoba applicants for past four years: 36
Accepted: 15
Percentage: 41.7%

Pros of a Canadian vet school: my tuition next year is only $7000 :D

Too true - I know at least one student at my in-state (NC) who turned down her in-state school's acceptance to come OOS here because you can gain residency after the first year, and it worked out to be cheaper in the long run.

The tuition and fees part of our finaid budget next year at UCDavis is $30K as a CA resident. :eek: And I believe PA, NY and MA residents at the very least can sympathize...

Tufts in state tuition for next year is listed at $39,360. So I think they would be jealous of you California people with your nice weather and cheap tuition.

Tufts in state tuition for next year is listed at $39,360. So I think they would be jealous of you California people with your nice weather and cheap tuition.

Due to a variety of reasons, Tufts is the only school I am willing to go to if accepted. Guess I am already prepared to just accept that I will be ass broke for many years to come :eek:

Mind you, if the economy manages to turn around ever so slightly before my time there is over, I may get to save... a couple thousand...? :laugh:

I hear UPenn is having a rough enough time financially that they are accepting a higher percentage of OOS applicants now than they used to, in order to help with costs. Is this true?

I hear UPenn is having a rough enough time financially that they are accepting a higher percentage of OOS applicants now than they used to, in order to help with costs. Is this true?

yes, they did change the # of OOS students vs. IS students, i assume that it was due to finances but of course, i dont know 100%

Yeah, Pennsylvania cut the funding they were giving to Penn so Penn cut the number of instate students they accept.

And gave full rides to most of their undergrads.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dv...-close-/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/676604

Heaven forbid that any faculty get axed or the VTH postpone the new expansion or new MRI purchase. You students should be able to suck up the extra $10,000 a year of tuition like the UofMissouri associate dean says in the article. The number one rule of veterinary academics is to save my job and my salary first. Why should they have to live within reduced means? I love the academic from Tenn who just cannot wait until the legislature starts sending more money back his way. If they don't, I am sure Tenn will raise tuition, increase class size and sell more OOS positions too.

Joseph Knecht DVM

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dv...-close-/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/676604

Heaven forbid that any faculty get axed or the VTH postpone the new expansion or new MRI purchase. You students should be able to suck up the extra $10,000 a year of tuition like the UofMissouri associate dean says in the article. The number one rule of veterinary academics is to save my job and my salary first. Why should they have to live within reduced means? I love the academic from Tenn who just cannot wait until the legislature starts sending more money back his way. If they don't, I am sure Tenn will raise tuition, increase class size and sell more OOS positions too.

Joseph Knecht DVM

Um... last I checked, anyone is going to be a little miffed about the prospect of having to pay more. It's not like we WON'T pay it, assuming we actually want to go to school, otherwise we wouldn't be applying to the more expensive schools in the first place. I don't think it makes us inherently bad people or unsupportive of the profession just because we are upset when acknowledging the added debt we will be in. We all obviously understand WHY schools have to raise tuition and sell OOS seats (seriously it's not that complicated), but it is still kind of sucky. Let us complain :p Everyone is being affected by the downturn in the economy right now, and I think this should be a testament to our dedication (in accepting that despite ALREADY being an debt-laden field, before the economy crashed, now we are still dedicated going to and supporting great schools). So you can get off your high horse now thank you :)

Um... last I checked, anyone is going to be a little miffed about the prospect of having to pay more. It's not like we WON'T pay it, assuming we actually want to go to school, otherwise we wouldn't be applying to the more expensive schools in the first place. I don't think it makes us inherently bad people or unsupportive of the profession just because we are upset when acknowledging the added debt we will be in. We all obviously understand WHY schools have to raise tuition and sell OOS seats (seriously it's not that complicated), but it is still kind of sucky. Let us complain :p Everyone is being affected by the downturn in the economy right now, and I think this should be a testament to our dedication (in accepting that despite ALREADY being an debt-laden field, before the economy crashed, now we are still dedicated going to and supporting great schools). So you can get off your high horse now thank you :)

I think you completely missed the point and sarcasm of his post.

If you go look in the Veterinary forums, this guy is notorious for telling us that the sky is falling when it comes to this profession, becoming a veterinarian will make you live in poverty for life, vet schools are out to screw us, etc.

Last edited:
I think you completely missed the point and sarcasm of his post.

If you go look in the Veterinary forums, this guy is notorious for telling us that the sky is falling and becoming a veterinarian will make you live in poverty for life.

Shhh. I just got back from running in 100 degree heat and then arguing with someone so I am a little delirious & in the mood to be combative apparently haha. Also, I haven't really visited that part of the forum, although it probably would've been a good heads up. Oops.

We've had some people on here who made posts like that in all seriousness though. Was it really dripping THAT much in sarcasm? I'm off my game tonight :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know Joseph since he doesn't write too much so I had no clue if he was serious or sarcastic lol it IS hard to tell if you don't know the person's personality already! I mean, if that were Hopefulag of course it would be obvious lol

I think his post was pure sarcasm, except for his last sentence. That sentence was his point.

I do not say this with any sort of authority (not this side of vet school), but I feel that a person should know what they're getting themselves into when they go to vet school. They should know what the profession entails. The school practices that Joseph speaks of are bad. But you would be naive to be surprised by people looking out for their own hide. Only complaining about the problems helps no one; it just makes yourself feel better. Which I don't have a big problem with. I've heard of the people who get through school and then find out that they hate they're job. That is a sad place to be in and I hope to never find myself in that situation.

oookeeeeee, getting back to the OPs question...........
I, as most of you probably, have ALWAYS heard people say 'isn't it harder to get into vet school than medical school?' Now that i've gotten in, whether it is true or not, i like to say 'YES! yes it IS! SO much harder!'
just to make myself feel awesome.;)

I'd like to say yes, it is. Obviously I'm biased, and want something to hold over my friends. But I do have some reasoning.

Sure, the number of applicants accepted vs schools is somewhat similar (or at least, thats what all the number crunchers on here seem to be saying). I'm not sure this includes the DO schools (can anyone set me straight about this? it almost seems like a pseudo hollistic doctor, but with all the normal med training. Definitely seems to be a stigma attached to it). So maybe the numbers are a little different.

I think pre-vet may also be a little more prepared/expecting how hard its going to be. When I started filling out the VMCAS, and saw I had to plug in every grade, I was a little annoyed that i had to hunt down my transcript, but did it. My old roommate, when applying to med school, acted like the world was ending when he had to do that, AND convert his A+ to As (at my school, an A+ = 4.3333, so we lost a bit of GPA when applying to our schools). Which also meant he had to do some basic math to recalculate his GPA. Again, I was a bit bothered, but oh well.

Don't even get me started on the girl I overheard at the bus stop. In once sentence, she was talking about her B-'s in all her prereqs (I know, thats not a terrible grade, but I'm almost ashamed of the B's I had to type into the VMCAS), then moving onto how a local school took people with sub 3.0 GPAs (again, its doable, not to be down on those with it, i'm just a GPAist somewhat), and then moved onto how Obama was ruining her chosen profession with the health care bill. I just wanted to yell "Seriously? You're talking about having a sub 3.0 GPA and having to apply to colleges that accept that, and its Obama that is holding you back?"

Also, so many med students seem to go into the profession without much relevant experience at all. I don't know all the averages of hours, but I know its at least 2k or so total. Sure, that's bumped up by the non traditionals, or the people applying several times, those that took a year off, or even just the people that worked their asses off. But I'd be surprised if several of my friends would top 300 hours of relevant work. Do I think if pre vet weren't required to get so many experience hours, the collective GPA might improve? maybe. Do I think this is a good idea? No! I think anyone entering any sort of professional program should have experience so they know what they are getting into.

I will concede that the MCAT sounds like a mean test. But it also just seems to be a test on everything you should know. Yes, that's a lot of information, and it might be hard to remember the different forms of hemoglobin for the different life stages, or what plank's constant is, but it's all stuff that will definitely come up again, and you would do well to remember. But how accurate of a test is the GRE? I will probably not have to do analogies during vet school, or during a practice. Clients will (hopefully) not quiz me : Fluffy's GI tract:Toast as a shingle: x (which you then have to cross multiply, then divide by toast, in order to find the answer...according to algebra). Stupid point, but its not testing us on things we've necessarily learned, or even need to learn (yes, having a high vocab can be good, yes you should be able to multiple and use logic, etc, but it's not testing you on what you've focused on).

So long post, weird/odd/shaky points. I feel its a lil tougher, due to different challenges, to get into vet school, but both are still tough.

Last edited:
How far do med schools go down their waitlists?

How far do med schools go down their waitlists?

Totally depends on the school. I know a bunch of the top 30 schools go through many (by many i mean some of the large popular schools literally go through 100 or more), which while seeming counterintuitive, it makes sense if you think about it; the people that get in there are very awesome applicants, but that also means they likely got in to other better schools. So somewhere like NYU or Tufts is going to accept a lot of people that eventually go on to Harvard or Yale, thus opening up spots.

The "lower" schools also often will go through many on their waitlists, because good/normal candidates will use these schools as a more sure bet (well, as sure a bet as getting into an allopathic school can be lol)... so then if they get into anything better, those that didn't get in anywhere sometimes get a shot to be pulled in.

Really, I think this is what makes it "easier" to get into med school, in terms of sheer numbers. Vet schools don't really have "safe" schools; they're all really incredibly hard to get into! Med schools, on the other hand, offer "ivy/Mayo clinic" type places at the top, then really good ones below, then good, medium, okay, and then DO... so good students are often less screwed over if they make sure to apply to enough schools.

I do think that we have it easier in the number of places we apply to... I can't say I know anyone who applied to less than 8 medical schools, with the average being more around 15. And those all come with supplementals etc. Even though we're limited not by choice, at least we don't need to fill out upwards of 20 vet school applications (well, most people don't :)).

: Fluffy's GI tract:Toast as a shingle: x (which you then have to cross multiply, then divide by toast, in order to find the answer...according to algebra).

:laugh: So that's why I always had trouble with analogies. I never divided by toast :)

Osteopathic medicine is, at its core, more "holistic" than allopathic medicine. DOs learn osteopathic manipulation as a way to treat problems and maintain health, alongside medicine and surgery. Their scope of practice includes everything an MD can do, and DOs are eligible for the same residencies and specialties and licensing as MDs. The stigma is basically because DO programs are somewhat less competitive than MD programs and a fair number of students apply to DO school only after failing to gain admission to an MD program. It's unfortunate for those who choose osteopathic medicine on its own merits.

Stumbled upon this thread after having a conversation with someone who, after just telling them i was accepted into medical school, went on to explain to me how much more difficult it is to gain acceptance to veterinary school.

Personally, i think you can make arguments for each...and i dont think you can ultimately say which path is more difficult--that of a premed or a prevet....

However, i browsed some of the statistics posted earlier in this old, decrepit thread and decided to look up some statistics of my own comparing UF College of Medicine vs UF College of Veterinary Medicine

While this is only comparing one school and not the entire applicant pool (and it refers to matriculants and not accepted students) the numbers are still revealing--

UF COM 2008-2009: 2784 apps, 132 matriculants=4.74%....avg. gpa 3.8
UF Vet 2010: 897 apps, 88 matriculants=9.8%.....avg. gpa 3.5

While this is only comparing one school and not the entire applicant pool (and it refers to matriculants and not accepted students) the numbers are still revealing

The only thing those numbers reveal is that the person posting them is a lazy jerk who did not read a god damn word of the thread that he/she posted them in.

yeah, who really gives a damn? agree with nyanko. all that post really shows is that the poster is a pre-med with some ego issues, and an inability to think logically (or read).

what he/she posted is "very revealing"? puh-lease. just like med school, there are vet schools with higher admission rates than others, and even then it varies sooo much depending on your state residency. And unlike in human med, where there are several private schools with no preference for in-state vs. out of state students, all but a couple of the state-side schools in vet med have an in-state preference. sucks for the many students who aren't a resident for any of the vet schools.

A lot of the vet schools have an acceptance of ~20 - 25% for IS students, but much lower for OOS students. At the extreme, UC Davis had 443 OOS applicants last year and offered spots to 9 (and ultimately admitted 5). That's like 2%. For CSU, there were 1756 OOS applicants last year and they admitted 32. That's also like 2%. (Since you seem to really like these "revealing" comparisons, HMS had 5324 applicants, and they admitted 165... ~3% :eek:. How blasphemous!).

I'm sure the same can be said for med schools as well in terms of there being "harder" and "easier" schools to get into. So yes, I'm sure there are certain vet schools that are easier for a particular person to get into than a certain med school, and vice versa. Not sure it's valid to average everything out either... 'cause what does it mean if vet/med school is "on average" harder to get into than the other?

So again, who cares? and what does caring about this kind of nonsense do anyone any good? Are you planning on becoming a doctor so you can claim to be in the most exclusive profession? 'Cause that's pretty lame. That makes the "I want to become a vet because I love animals" from pre-vets sound not that bad at all.

sorry for feeding the troll. i'm trying to find anything/everything to procrastinate taking my exam.

While this is only comparing one school and not the entire applicant pool (and it refers to matriculants and not accepted students) the numbers are still revealing--

I'm not sure where you went to school or what sort of science classes you took, but I don't know of any hard science-based classes that would allow one piece of evidence to define the "norm", especially with so many other factors tied into the decision. Besides, Minnerbelle posted two pieces of evidence against the claim, so she's winning :thumbup:

I've talk with pre-meds about this before and the general comment I get from them is "Oh wow, vet school is really hard to get in to, isn't it?" And once we start chatting about it we generally agree that vet school is about as hard to get into as say the top tier medical schools. But the thing with med schools is that they have other options besides the top tier.
Anyways, most of the pre-meds I've known and talked with about this generally agree that just because of the depth of med schools and the more diverse options, it can be easier to get in to.

Stumbled upon this thread after having a conversation with someone who, after just telling them i was accepted into medical school, went on to explain to me how much more difficult it is to gain acceptance to veterinary school.

Personally, i think you can make arguments for each...and i dont think you can ultimately say which path is more difficult--that of a premed or a prevet....

However, i browsed some of the statistics posted earlier in this old, decrepit thread and decided to look up some statistics of my own comparing UF College of Medicine vs UF College of Veterinary Medicine

Got it. .::inserts useless info into pocket::. Now, skip on back to the pre-med forums, please and thank you.

[insert truth] Statistically (do you have to take Statistics to get into med school?), it's harder to get into vet school given that there are 28 veterinary schools in the US and some 133 medical schools. Now keep in mind... that's just based on number of schools, applicants and admissions.... not based on any of the work required on either side to get there. [/rant]

And just anecdotally, haven't we all heard from an MD or two, "oh, I wanted to be a vet, but I couldn't get in so I went to Med School!"

I know that's not statistically relevant, but I've never heard the opposite...

I just don't know what the deal is with pre-med and medical people who somehow have this preconceived notion that med school > vet school. As a vet student with exponentially larger fish to fry, I could not care less about medical school and it's applicants, hence why I didn't choose that path. But its annoying that most of them seem to have an attitude like we're going to fake doctor school to work on stuffed animals and that somehow vet school is not as relevant. This is a legit operation people!

But its annoying that most of them seem to have an attitude like we're going to fake doctor school to work on stuffed animals

We're not? Crap. Looks like my plans change for fall..... so much for the mounds of poly-fill I've been stashing away........

We're not? Crap. Looks like my plans change for fall..... so much for the mounds of poly-fill I've been stashing away........

This made me LOL. :D

Poly-fill...can I have some? I need to heal my bear. :(

Hey now, no dissing my backup, backup plan. It's either Ross or med school :p

I must confess I did in fact do a mini-med school investigation mid-spring semester when I was panicking about not getting in... happens to the best of us ;)

I just don't know what the deal is with pre-med and medical people who somehow have this preconceived notion that med school > vet school. As a vet student with exponentially larger fish to fry, I could not care less about medical school and it's applicants, hence why I didn't choose that path. But its annoying that most of them seem to have an attitude like we're going to fake doctor school to work on stuffed animals and that somehow vet school is not as relevant. This is a legit operation people!

50254_2228922876_3478_n.jpg

:)

Well, not that anyone really gives a crap, but I'm about to find out if it's harder (FOR ME at least) to get into med school. I expect it's going to be MUCH harder, partly because of ageism. sigh. Not looking forward to this. :(

Well, not that anyone really gives a crap, but I'm about to find out if it's harder (FOR ME at least) to get into med school. I expect it's going to be MUCH harder, partly because of ageism. sigh. Not looking forward to this. :(

:eek: Wait, what? Did I miss something? I thought you had schools lined up?

:eek:??????

Y'all don't pay much attention, do yeh? ;)

Very out of character, TT. Normally you would have provided a link to where LD mentioned switching teams..... :)

Sigh. Ignore this. I posted it somewhere in between your original post and your revised post where you DID include the link.

Yeah seriously LSD applying to med school is about as surprising to me as finding out that the Earth has once again managed to rotate around its axis.

Will be funny having the screenname LivestockDoc and posting as a pre-med/med student though. Some people might take that the wrong way....

Last edited:
ooo i see :(

well, if its just about the money id do something easier like dental school lol dentists make SO much money even after only 4 yrs of schooling. that is the way to go to save time and increase $!

Will be funny having the screenname LivestockDoc and posting as a pre-med/med student though. Some people might take that the wrong way....

:lol: