Is it really necessary to do a residency?

Started by Scott80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

After which I would be just as competitive as someone who did get a residency

Not in my opinion. You do realize that a year of a residency equates to more than a year of experience, no?

With that said, over time, yes, I think you could be, but I honestly think that working a year compared to someone who did a residency, your chance of being as competitive is small.
 
Last edited:
I think you could gain experience without a formal residency program. There are so many these days, and they vary in what you'll learn anyways. If you are a good learner, you will pick up important stuff no matter what you're called. I know many folks with B.S. rph degrees who are 20 leagues above the rest... It all comes down to your own commitment. You don't need a $60,000 pay cut to learn clinical pharmacy.
 
I am one of those few who got a clinical position without a residency. I was able to do so because I had a medical background and 5 years of patient-care experience prior to entering pharmacy school.

Becoming a clinical pharmacist right out of school is difficult though. Physicians come to me every day and ask me to decide on an antibiotic for them, recommend a pain management program, determine pediatric dosing, etc. The bad part is they never come and ask me the easy questions, it is always for a patient who is allergic to 5 classes of antibiotics, or refuses to take certain narcotic pain relievers, and has no insurance so they can't afford any brand name meds.

We have a pharmacy resident at my hospital and I see what she is experiencing. I think I am getting far more practical experience (in my specialty area) than she is. She spends much of her day working on projects, doing presentations, going to meeting, etc. What I do envy about her is that she will get to rotate through all the specialty areas around the hospital, and she isn't under the pressure I am in making a split-second decision.

After her one year residency she can get a clinical job in any general pharmacy area, I am pretty much limited to my specialty for now. I would probably need about three years to be able to expand out into a general clinical position.

Either way you go about it, deciding to become a clinical pharmacist is definitely a challenging road. Make sure you plan to study long after your graduation date.