Is it really necessary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCtrainer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

need a little advice, I'm going to apply this May for fall of 2006, right now I'm finishing my first year in graduate school and haven't had much time to study for MCAT, should I just try to cram this month for the exam just so that I can have it done before I apply, or should I just wait for this August and take it then?? Do you have to have an MCAT score when you apply?? Do medical schools look down on people who take it in August??

I have not yet taken the test

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think medical schools look down on you if you take your MCAT in August. It will just take a little bit longer for your application to be complete because they're waiting for your scores.

I highly recommend not cramming for the Apirl MCAT just for the sake of getting scores. It's better to take your time than to rush it.

I think the amount of time needed to prepare for the MCAT is totally over rated. If you know the material WELL, it will only take about a month of practice tests to become comfortable with the test format.

Try going to Kaplan or Princeton and taking a practice test. It will give you a good idea of where you stand and how much work you need to do. If you're close I would definitely recommend trying to cram it, having your scores early will give you an advantage. If you are way off, then start studying now for April.

Members don't see this ad :)
USCtrainer said:
Hey guys,

need a little advice, I'm going to apply this May for fall of 2006, right now I'm finishing my first year in graduate school and haven't had much time to study for MCAT, should I just try to cram this month for the exam just so that I can have it done before I apply, or should I just wait for this August and take it then?? Do you have to have an MCAT score when you apply?? Do medical schools look down on people who take it in August??

I have not yet taken the test

Thanks in advance...

Most people who apply to med school in the summer haven't recieved their MCAT scores yet. I would advise that you go ahead and get your applications sent in even if you haven't completed the MCAT yet. You can send those scores later. Keep in mind that if you do poorly on the August MCAT, you will not have an opportunity to retake it during this application round.

By the time you recieve your scores, many people will have already applied and been accepted at schools, but a majority of spots will still be open.

You may be at a slight disadvantage if you have a low GPA or you are applying to more competitive schools, but it won't make a difference at the less competitive schools.

Good luck.

if i were you, i wouldnt cram in the last month and take it in april. the mcat just isnt an exam where cramming works. a full year of gchem, bio, and a semester each of organic and physics just cant be crammed into a month. not to mention we havent even started verbal.
its a lot of review of the science material and a LOT of technique practicing (particularly with verbal). the mcat is passage based which is a totally different type of exam. theres a few independent questions that are not passage based but the majority is passages and q's. i think (1) reviewing material and (2) practicing technique and (3)making sure to get passages done in the time frame allotted is the key to doing well. i definitely do not think it's possible to successfully get all of these things down WELL in a few weeks. in addition to reviewing and doing practice passages, the absolute best thing you can do for yourself is to take as many practice exams as possible. one or two is not enough. i took 8 practice exams before taking the august 2004 mcat.
i'd say get your apps out as soon as the amcas/acomas submit button becomes availble (june 1 i think) and let those schools get your primaries and LORs so that the bulk of your application is submitted ahead of time (my advisor told me to do this too). devote your entire summer to studying like mad, do your best on the august mcat, and then sit back and relax--but not too much, secondaries are gonna start soon after! i know it sounds like a ton of work (and it is) but just plan ahead and you'll do great. good luck!