Is it really that bad of an idea to take prereqs during summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StillConfusedLOL

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

So I'm a half way non-trad student, trying to climb a ladder back up from the biggest hole ive dug in terms of gpa..
(maybe this point is not exactly necessary for my question...but wanted to be as clear as I can)

One of my classmates who is in a similar situation just visited a premed counselor and heard that we shouldn't take any prereqs during summer, as it looks like we're lazy and don't wanna take full load of courses during fall and spring semesters.

Is this true? I thought I read from other posts that it doesn't really matter as long as I do well.
I was planning on taking at least 4 prereqs during summer so that I can finish them ASAP and apply. If I don't take them in the summer I'll probably be in undergrad for another year or two....which I don't want :(

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

While medical schools do not prefer you to take too many prereqs over the summer, it isn't a significant red flag or an automatic rejection if you take a few. I believe what they are worried about is whether the student is academically capable of taking a full course load. Medical school is not easy in any regards, so showing that you can take a rigorous courseload during undergrad proves you have the skills to be successful in medical school. However, life happens, and despite taking rigorous courseloads during the semesters, you still find yourself a few classes short and scrambling to complete them over the summer. It happened to me. I switched majors and couldn't fit physics I and II with their respective labs during the semester so I took them in the summer after an already killer course load of Orgo II and lab, Biochem, and Biostats. I did well in those classes and in physics over the summer, so it didn't look like I was taking the easy way out or that I was only capable of good grades when I had an easier courseload. I also took the courses in person at my undergrad institution. Usually (but not always, again, there are always exceptions, look at each medical schools FAQs) online prereqs or ones at community colleges are frowned upon. Overall, as long as you work hard, space out your prereqs evenly, and kill the MCAT to show you are competent in those areas, you should be just fine OP.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone :)

So I'm a half way non-trad student, trying to climb a ladder back up from the biggest hole ive dug in terms of gpa..
(maybe this point is not exactly necessary for my question...but wanted to be as clear as I can)

One of my classmates who is in a similar situation just visited a premed counselor and heard that we shouldn't take any prereqs during summer, as it looks like we're lazy and don't wanna take full load of courses during fall and spring semesters.

Is this true? I thought I read from other posts that it doesn't really matter as long as I do well.

Here is a recent thread about taking summer prereqs Physics 2 at Community College

I was planning on taking at least 4 prereqs during summer so that I can finish them ASAP and apply. If I don't take them in the summer I'll probably be in undergrad for another year or two....which I don't want :(

Thank you in advance!

If you mean four (science) prereqs at once over one summer, I think that's an unrealistic workload even if you're not doing anything else. I would take one or two summer prereqs max per summer so you can concentrate on actually mastering the material for the MCAT and achieve better grades.

Assuming you are working on your bachelors degree (and not doing a post-bac)...in place of prereqs in the summer, can you take electives or major requirements instead? I think these could be a lot easier (and favorable) to manage over the summer.

Finally, prolonging your undergrad isn't a bad idea especially with your mention of having a lower GPA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a recent thread about taking summer prereqs Physics 2 at Community College

If you mean four (science) prereqs at once over one summer, I think that's an unrealistic workload even if you're not doing anything else. I would take one or two summer prereqs max per summer so you can concentrate on actually mastering the material for the MCAT and achieve better grades.

Assuming you are working on your bachelors degree (and not doing a post-bac)...in place of prereqs in the summer, can you take electives or major requirements instead? I think these could be a lot easier (and favorable) to manage over the summer.

Finally, prolonging your undergrad isn't a bad idea especially with your mention of having a lower GPA.

I did this. 16 credits in 12 weeks, it was rough.
Physics I and II, and two bio courses.

Reactions: 1 user
If you really need to take classes over the summer, why not take classes outside of pre-reqs that are still required for graduation? It can help you graduate on time.

Reactions: 1 users
While medical schools do not prefer you to take too many prereqs over the summer, it isn't a significant red flag or an automatic rejection if you take a few. I believe what they are worried about is whether the student is academically capable of taking a full course load. Medical school is not easy in any regards, so showing that you can take a rigorous courseload during undergrad proves you have the skills to be successful in medical school. However, life happens, and despite taking rigorous courseloads during the semesters, you still find yourself a few classes short and scrambling to complete them over the summer. It happened to me. I switched majors and couldn't fit physics I and II with their respective labs during the semester so I took them in the summer after an already killer course load of Orgo II and lab, Biochem, and Biostats. I did well in those classes and in physics over the summer, so it didn't look like I was taking the easy way out or that I was only capable of good grades when I had an easier courseload. I also took the courses in person at my undergrad institution. Usually (but not always, again, there are always exceptions, look at each medical schools FAQs) online prereqs or ones at community colleges are frowned upon. Overall, as long as you work hard, space out your prereqs evenly, and kill the MCAT to show you are competent in those areas, you should be just fine OP.
Wow you really cleared that up for me. Thank you so much!

If you really need to take classes over the summer, why not take classes outside of pre-reqs that are still required for graduation? It can help you graduate on time.
Unfortunately i already took most of my major classes and they dont offer the ones i have left are not offered in the summer :(

And how did that work out for you? I dont personally know anyone whos done what im trying to do...

That's because it's sort of a waste of time (no offense to those who have done it).

How much of the material will you actually retain with 4 science classes in the summer? Rushing to finish important prereqs in the summer just so you can apply "ASAP" and without regard to actually learning the material in depth sounds a lot like you're just box checking your way through (think of those who mention rushing to gain massive amounts of volunteer hours just before applying).

I admit that I had that mentality a few months ago but came to realize that it isn't a race with the help of adcom members and other posters on here. It was music to my ears until more and more told me to slow down...

Last edited:
That's because it's sort of a waste of time (no offense to those who have done it).

How much of the material will you actually retain with 4 science classes in the summer? Rushing to finish important prereqs in the summer just so you can apply "ASAP" and without regard to actually learning the material in depth sounds a lot like you're just box checking your way through (think of those who mention rushing to gain massive amounts of volunteer hours just before applying).

I admit that I had that mentality a few months ago but came to realize that it isn't a race with the help of adcom members and other posters on here. It was music to my ears until more and more told me to slow down...

Rushing to apply wasn’t why I did it. I didn’t even start med school until three years after my graduation. My situation was complicated but I changed majors and knew my grants were gonna run out and I literally couldn’t afford to take another YEAR to graduate and take those courses on campus. I took organic chemistry over the summer as well. I did what I had to.

Rushing to apply wasn’t why I did it. I didn’t even start med school until three years after my graduation. My situation was complicated but I changed majors and knew my grants were gonna run out and I literally couldn’t afford to take another YEAR to graduate and take those courses on campus. I took organic chemistry over the summer as well. I did what I had to.

I wasn't speaking about your situation in particular...I understand that everyone's situation is different. :)
My previous post was directed to the OP and his/her situation....in which he/she clearly states in his/her first post that his/her motive for taking four prereqs in the summer is so he/she can apply ASAP.

I wasn't speaking about your situation in particular...I understand that everyone's situation is different. :)
My previous post was directed to the OP and his/her situation....in which he/she clearly states in his/her first post that his/her motive for taking four prereqs in the summer is so he/she can apply ASAP.

Whoops. Lol i missed that. But yes, I agree with you on this one. Do not rush it.

Thanks for that input. While i do admit that im trying to get most of the prereqs done asap, i didnt mean so that i can rush to apply. I do see that my words were very misleading. I have a similar but somewhat diff situation as ciestar... long story short im kind of a nontrad student but not rly, and its pretty complicated. Ill try my best to even out the classes. Thanks again.