Is it still possible??? What are my chances? Really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CobanAV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel as I have made a mistake in choosing my career path. I have always had dreams about medical school but after becoming pregnant with my second child I thought nursing school would better suit my family situation. I am now in my second semester of nursing school and I know that I have made the wrong choice. Nursing is a wonderful profession but I just want more.

I started my BSN at a 4yr university with a 3.9 GPA and 4.0 science GPA including Biology, Anatomy and Physiology I and II and Chemistry. Upon entrance into nursing school I had a 5 month old son and a 21 month old daughter. I did not have any family support as we were stationed 6 hours away from all our family and friends. My husband is currently an active duty Marine but plans to separate from active duty in 2 years. During my second semester in nursing school I was not academically successful to proceed in the program. I will not make an excuse for what happened, I simply did not put in the required work after my son was hospitalized for a week and I was forced to miss 2 clinicals and an exam because of the lack of family to help me. In the same semester my grandfather suddenly passed away and my husband's grandfather was diagnosed with cancer (he also passed away 3 months later). Through the difficult family situations, I also feel that the reason I neglected my classes was a contribution of what was stated above and essentially because my heart wasn't fully into nursing. I felt like I had no other options at this point so I reenroll into nursing school.

I am now at a community college where I am finishing up my second semester of nursing school and again my passion for the medicine is only getting stronger. I am doing good in nursing classes As and Bs. Although I love the nursing profession, know nursing is not the right career choice for me. I have looked into NP and CRNA programs but I do not believe its for me.

I am still maintaining a 3.7 GPA including my previous unsuccessful attempt in my BSN program. Medicine and science has always been my passion and I was hoping nursing would give me what I was looking for to satisfy my thirst but unfortunately, it hasn't. I am 25 years old and will graduate with my associate in nursing at 26. Should I continue to finish my BSN then take post baccalaureate courses to finish my pre-med prerequisites? Or should I finish my associate degree and get a BA? Or is this altogether an unrealistic dream?

Thank you in advance for you advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you feel that you can take a full load of classes and take care of your children, then this is certainly an attainable dream. You're obviously intelligent, having a great GPA. If you put in the time and can make ends and time meet then, by all means, go for it!!

If you are sure about going to medical school you should probably finish your two year degree and then move on to a BS or a BA. There is no reason to take up a spot in a nursing program if you have no intention of going into the nursing field.

The dream is attainable but learn from your mistakes and set up your support network. There will always be random events that can distract you from your path so you will need people around you to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep doing what you are doing. As for what degree to get, that is up to you. Either would be fine for med school in my opinion. If I was an adcom I would be completely understanding of the situation you are worried about. All you would have to do is keep getting those A's and rock the MCAT. I think you will def get into med school if you just keep working hard.

Thank you all for your replies.

If you are sure about going to medical school you should probably finish your two year degree and then move on to a BS or a BA. There is no reason to take up a spot in a nursing program if you have no intention of going into the nursing field.

The difficulty I have with this is that since I already have all the prerequisites for my BSN I could have my BSN in 2-3 semesters after my completion of my ADN. To go for a BA after my ADN I would be putting in at least 3-4 years. The loans would continue to pile up and before even applying to med school. So if at all possible (acceptable for med school) it would make more sense for me to finish BSN.

Another question -MD or DO for my situation?

MD if you have the stats for it, DO if your stats are too low for MD and applying to MD is too financially inefficient. Of course apply to your in states as their tuition will be very low.